speck calling tips anything helps

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

speck calling tips anything helps

Postby brownh14 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:30 pm

just got my new redbone speck call in the mail today!!! and speck calling is turning out to be harder than i thought it would be (I'm new to it) so i was wondering if some of you more experienced callers could give me some tips/advice. Anything helps, I'm trying to learn anything i can. I need help with everything from hand placement, cadence, whats a comeback call and a feed call sound like and other calls for a speck, do specks get overcalled easily, what are the best things to say into the call to get certain notes ext.... Also what kind of little sounds and patters have you found personally to be most affective, and do you know of any good websites or videos that are helpful. thanks in advance guys i really appreciate the help!
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Re: speck calling tips anything helps

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Thought an instruction CD was one of Redbone's selling points?

In any event, here are some youtube vids from Riceland:

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

thanks man i appreciate it!... yes i know but apparently you have to ask for it specifically in your order which i did not.
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby hunter1967 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I just started getting into calling specks last year. I love it now. As far as hand placement goes, I just grab it like I would a short reed goose call.I use a foiles carnage collector with the new foiles speck guts in it. It's super easy to blow. I usually blow it one handed. You can get two different pitches from just using two different words. Ha-ha..Hee-hee for ex. To get those same notes to a higher register, all I have to do is raise my middle finger not even an 1/8 of an inch. If I want to take those notes lower, I just close my hand a little tighter on the call. To get the murmur, I have to use both hands to muffle it down a bit as my call is very high pitched. I usually try and talk back to one particular bird, by doing what it does. If that doesn't work, and I know to some, this sounds off the wall, I start with a hee-hee, then followed by single hee's, maybe 9-12 notes, and as I go down the line I start to slow it up and space them out till it sounds like just a regular goose cluck, then I might do the same thing again. I've noticed it seems to work on them like a comeback call does on a canadian. I'm not an expert, but it does work. Last year was my first year hunting them, and using just 11 feeder ghg speck decoys, along a dozen canadian decoys, we killed over 25 specks. Hopefully it wasn't beginners luck! They do like to decoy. One thing I did notice, they work a lot like ducks. They tend to circle quite a bit before they commit. once you get their attention, just try calling them on the corners, and once they get below 50 yds, I tried to keep the calling to a minimum or just stop calling altogether. I hope this doesn't come off as seeming like I am a know it all, but that is what worked for me. Just try different things to see what works, thats all i can tell ya! Good luck!
hunter1967
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum