Molt Gear EX3, Zink NBN or ?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Molt Gear EX3, Zink NBN or ?

Postby bowstringboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:00 am

Looking to purchase a short short reed goose call. I currently blow a DRC Inmate and a TG Pro SM. Looking to gain speed w/o losing quality of sound. Have also read some good things on the Field Proven Matrix. Anyone have any input?
bowstringboy
hunter

Re: Molt Gear EX3, Zink NBN or ?

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Go with a TG real thang, or a lynchmob reaper if your looking for speed. The real thang is awesome. I would suggest blowing an ex3 before dropping that much money on it. In my opinion it is the most realistic goose call out there and has a TON of range. Saying this it is a bear to learn to blow properly and to tune it up. Not its easy to throw it together and make it sound good but it took me a couple weeks cutting reeds and playing with it to get it to my liking. I have a feeling it will replace my real thang by the end of the season. I'm not a real big fan of the new zink line. Looks aside they all blow really light. Which means you must control your air much much better. Just me I like a little heavier call.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:30 am

Tipsntails7 wrote:Go with a TG real thang, or a lynchmob reaper if your looking for speed. The real thang is awesome. I would suggest blowing an ex3 before dropping that much money on it. In my opinion it is the most realistic goose call out there and has a TON of range. Saying this it is a bear to learn to blow properly and to tune it up. Not its easy to throw it together and make it sound good but it took me a couple weeks cutting reeds and playing with it to get it to my liking. I have a feeling it will replace my real thang by the end of the season. I'm not a real big fan of the new zink line. Looks aside they all blow really light. Which means you must control your air much much better. Just me I like a little heavier call.

I have the EX3D, the Delrin version of the call, which uses a different set of guts. And, I have to agree, the call does sound very realistic. So far the geese have responded very well to the call, but as also mentioned, it's not set up the best for a guy who pushes a lot of air through a call.
tripleb
hunter

Postby erp10 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:41 am

I like the zink nbn I have blown one but dont own it. I went with the cod. I like a light breaking call though.
erp10
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 am

All zinks take light air tp blow. I almost think that they are great for begginners too. Im a Zink guy. once you get use to the light air pressure it takes youl love the call. Zinks sound great and have great speed and quality to them. But knowing how good scott threinin is i would deffinately go up tp cabelas and blow the EX3. Im dying to try that call out, im sure its awesome!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:08 pm

I've not tried the zink, but did blow the EX3D, that my cousin has, and I've owned a matrix. Liked both calls. The Matrix is fast, very fast, and very versatile. It can be tuned to go very high and also tuned to go pretty deep. Very easy to tune to your liking as well. Don't know much about the tuning of the EX3D...I use Grounds calls and most say that they blow a little harder than others...can't really say that's 100% true, but they do come straight from Tim a little stiffer than say a Zink straight from Freddie. The EX3D was tuned pretty good for me, but he may have asked for it to be tuned med to stiff, when he ordered it. It felt very nice in hand and was very comfortable to blow. Very quick and super goosey. I was very impressed with it. Impressed enough that I may buy one myself. I know that my cousin is wanting to pick up one in acrylic to go with the delrin. I guess the best way to buy one is direct from Scott and tell him exactly how you want it tuned.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Greenhead Rocker wrote:I've not tried the zink, but did blow the EX3D, that my cousin has, and I've owned a matrix. Liked both calls. The Matrix is fast, very fast, and very versatile. It can be tuned to go very high and also tuned to go pretty deep. Very easy to tune to your liking as well. Don't know much about the tuning of the EX3D...I use Grounds calls and most say that they blow a little harder than others...can't really say that's 100% true, but they do come straight from Tim a little stiffer than say a Zink straight from Freddie. The EX3D was tuned pretty good for me, but he may have asked for it to be tuned med to stiff, when he ordered it. It felt very nice in hand and was very comfortable to blow. Very quick and super goosey. I was very impressed with it. Impressed enough that I may buy one myself. I know that my cousin is wanting to pick up one in acrylic to go with the delrin. I guess the best way to buy one is direct from Scott and tell him exactly how you want it tuned.

Greenhead ..... Are you familiar with the shape of a GK Edge E3 reed? The EX3D uses the narrow end of the E3 reed .... or one very close to it's profile. I've read that the standard EX3 uses a wider reed .... perhaps the wide end of the same reed? Do you know if it's the same shape as the wide end of the E3?

Here's a pic of the reeds in common use ..... the E3 is on the right, narrow end down. It appears in my examination that the shape of the wide end of the E3 and the narrow end of the E4 are the same, or at least very nearly so, though the E4 is a slightly thicker, stiffer reed. This photo was taken by Wade Walling.

tripleb
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:46 pm

I cannot speak for the ex3d but the acrylic uses something inbetween, I think they are a special cut but cannot say for sure. I have mine set up with the narrow side of and E4 and it fits in the channel perfectly. Also your picture has an E3 and a clucker reed. An E4 is a little different then a clucker.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:48 am

Tipsntails7 wrote:I cannot speak for the ex3d but the acrylic uses something inbetween, I think they are a special cut but cannot say for sure. I have mine set up with the narrow side of and E4 and it fits in the channel perfectly. Also your picture has an E3 and a clucker reed. An E4 is a little different then a clucker.

Thanks for the info. I've gotten E4's and E3's from GK and the wide end of the E3 and narrow end of the E4 appear very similar (at least by overlaying one over the other). But, I've had the best luck with reshaping the wide end of the E3 or narrow end of the E4 to the same shape as GVCC uses. The tip shape is the same, but the sides are very slightly narrower, giving me a greater ability to use the call on the low end, yet still get good high pitched clucks. I've reshaped almost all the reeds in my calls to use that shape reed, I like it so much.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:36 pm

I recently purchased an ex3. I can give you a soundfile if you'd like.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum