best goose call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

best goose call

Postby Tanner Wildes » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:10 pm

I want to get a really good canada goose call for next year, I want to practice with it all year. My question is, what do you think is the best goose call in your opinion and why? I do almost all of my goose hunting over water.

Thanks for the help.

Tanner Wildes
Tanner Wildes
hunter

Re: best goose call

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:16 pm

The best one is...the one you can afford and operate and excel on. We can all give our opinions on our favorite, and a small percentage will fit you. There is no magic call, no one call that fits all...get out there and try as many as you can...or take a shot in the dark... :thumbsup:
These are what I use http://www.winglockcalls.com/
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:35 pm

I agree. It is definitely more about the call that you feel comfortable using! I personally love the Zink Calls COD, but that doesn't mean that it is the best fit for you. Have you tried any out?
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby Tanner Wildes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks for the responses guys! the problem is I live in northern Wisconsin and there isn't any place I can try out any good calls. I didn't know if I should look for a louder call or a softer one for hunting over open water. what calls do you guys use who hunt over open water?

Thanks,
Tanner Wildes
Tanner Wildes
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 am

I'll go with GH64 and recommend Winglock, get hold of a Whisperer and the Original become good with them and you won't need another call. OR......you can get into the buy trade sell program :fingerhead: from the classifieds and have numerous quality calls setting around while you continually go back to the Winglocks :bow: :thumbsup:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 am

It's hard to say what the best goose call for hunting is because goose calls, like shoes, don't fit everyone the same way. One possibility ..... I've read that Lynchmob calls can send you 3 different calls to try. You keep the one you want and send the other two back. I assume they charge you for all three, then refund the charges for 2 when you return them .... but I've not participated in that program. That's one option which may be available to you.

Winglocks are good calls to learn on. They're easy to blow and relatively inexpensive for a decent call. If you want a deeper sounding call which many people like for calling over water (I prefer a high pitched call), the Longneck is a good one to choose from his line of calls.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:21 am

Get MGs Bad Grammer. Then look for a call. Scott tells you about different calls not on the model but on longer or shorter calls. What its made of etc. Then you can't truly call without this Dvd.
I really like the Tim Grounds calls.

Sent from my layout blind
Takeem406
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 am

Get a Powerhouse or HYBRID from the guys over at Gander valley Calls. These call have helped a ton of guys I know of locally as well on as on these forums. Do a search. The owner is the best to deal with, I have never received better service! The 2 calls i mention have a great back pressure set up that makes running them a breeze and they sound AWESOME!! I know that with GVCC if you do not like that call you can send it back for a refund.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm

23yearsago wrote:I'll go with GH64 and recommend Winglock, get hold of a Whisperer and the Original become good with them and you won't need another call. OR......you can get into the buy trade sell program :fingerhead: from the classifieds and have numerous quality calls setting around while you continually go back to the Winglocks :bow: :thumbsup:

I probably bought and sold and traded 20 calls before i am where I can now. Some of them I wish I still had, such as the zink lm-1, moneymaker and the Lmc reaper. :sad:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm

1.) Buy Molt Gear's Bad Grammer DVD. Watch it and decide on the call you prefer. IMO you cannot go wrong with these three calls: TG Real Thang, TG G Overhauler, or MG EX3. They all can do everything that scott does on his DVD.

2.) Watch the DVD some more with the call you bought. You may sound like crap with a short barreled call at first, at least I did. It takes time to learn how to manipulate the air to get the call to sound right and like many different geese.

3.) This is what I did. I would practice honks one day while driving at work, then clucks, then moans, then murmurs, then trains, then hiccups, then spit notes and quick spits. Now I just practice doing them all in a string like calling real geese. However I find myself doing the train most often because I think it sounds crazy awesome.

Overall, I believe the key is to find a call that can make every note even though you may not be able to on it. Look for a call with a straight bore, short barrel, and broke in guts. Thus you manipulate the call and everything you put into the call is going to come out of it as apposed to the call manipulating your air flow and limiting you.
Joetpr
hunter

Postby Levi.markley1998 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 am

I am 15 and of course broke. So, I got the primos honky tonky and the zink power clucker. Both are cheap, primos is high impact plastic and zink is polycarb. I always want great sounding calls so I don't buy cheap little $10 calls. They work, but, I like to sound like a real goose. So, I took the guts out of both calls. I got the zink reed and tone board and the primos wedge and just lined them up like they should of been, no fancy tuning, and stuck the guts in the primos call and it sounds very goosey and can get high and loud when you need it to. It really surprised me since it isn't a very dense material but it produces loud range calling when you need it to. Hopefully this helps you or anybody looking for a good call. Good luck!
Levi.markley1998
Newb

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum