EX3D

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

EX3D

Postby Scotty2hotty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Anybody have any info on this call. The EX3 seems to have a love/hate relationship will those that have them, just not a lot of chatter about the EX3D.Thanks Scott.
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Re: EX3D

Postby tripleb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 pm

I like mine. The call has a very good "goosey" resonance, even when tuned high pitched, as I prefer to do. I did change out the guts, though. I pop the air into the call and the narrow reed tended to rub the back of the tone channel. I could have just moved the reed a little further away from the end of the tone channel, but I like a modification of the Saunders red guts,using a GVCC shaped reed in other calls I have. It worked in this one two. If the tone board hadn't been "started", I probably would have been fine just switching the reed ends around, to use the wide end of the reed. The original guts and my modification sound very much alike.

I tuned it a little higher in pitch that it came and it's worked well in pulling birds for me so far this season. I don't know whether it's the Delrin or the design of the call which makes it sound realistic, but it does sound like a goose. You have to run it outside, though, to get the real sound it creates. It sounds a bit funky run inside for some reason. It sounds very good outside, but you need to play it a while to limber up the reed.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Cabela's have them on sale and thought about getting one.
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 pm

The call doesn't require much air to run, so if you like a call that uses a lot of air, it's probably not the best choice for you. I'm in the process of getting my new Lab pup as crazy about birds as possible and around here, that means pass shooting geese by calling them off a refuge, so I can keep him dry. He doesn't have the body mass or adult hair yet to keep him warm if he gets wet. I don't want to hunt him out of a box blind for ducks, because he can't see them anyway from the blind, and there's no geese hitting the corn fields yet. They're still feeding on grass. But, this call sounds good enough that I can call them off the refuge, using only the call ... no food is available nor can decoys be set up where I am. The calling alone is what's luring them off. It's not fancy calling, just "clucking and moaning" and with this call tuned high pitched to sound like real geese, it works often enough that I've only gotten skunked twice when I've gone out. If the call "fits" you, it can work well.

tripleb
hunter

EX3D

Postby cupnglide » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:22 pm

tripleb, good review. That Cabelas sale price is pretty tempting. The pics are great! And it looks like your giving that young pooch every chance to succeed.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 am

cupnglide wrote:tripleb, good review. That Cabelas sale price is pretty tempting. The pics are great! And it looks like your giving that young pooch every chance to succeed.

Thanks. He's too small to pick one up this season, but he looks for them in the air and on the ground, and is on them like a barn yard chicken on a fat June bug when he finds them. :lol3:

I didn't see the sale price, just the regular price. And, while I like my C&S Apostles, this call is a little louder and might be a little easier to run for many guys not used to a very short call, since it's slightly longer. As I said, and others have said about the call, don't judge it's sound by what you hear in a confined space like a car or your house. To appreciate it, you have to run it for a couple hours to get the reed limbered up and listen to it outside .... compare it to the sounds of real geese and listen to the echos. I shortened up the reed by about .015" and it sounded just like real geese when flying. I lost some of the bottom end initially, but as the reed and guts wore in, it recovered some of that which was lost. It's not a call that contest callers might like for that purpose, but it's a realistic sounding, easy to blow call for hunters.

FYI, the EX3D uses a different set of guts than the EX3. They're "started", not BIGs.

For the information of anyone who contemplates a possible gut switch, the tone board will have to be reshaped. This shows what I did to some Saunders guts to shape them to fit inside the barrel of the EX3D. The reed tip is still turned up a bit too much, but it will drop lower as the call gets used.

tripleb
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:10 am

After posting this thread I went back to Cabela's to oreder one the price went back up.How are they tuned out of the package Scott recommends a stiffer tuned call ala Bad Grammer or are they tuned on the lighter side( I can't tune a call for crap).
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:21 am

I bought this call because I had a Cabela's gift card and I have to say I was more than let down with the call. I didn't like the way it fit my hands at all and it was set up wayyy to light for me. I have a stack of reeds so I started with a new one shaped it and still was not happy with the performance of the call. I like Scott and enjoy his attitude and the guy can run a call with the best of them but his calls are just not for me. In fact I hunt with a a lot of guys through the club and a good number of buddies. I offered this call to anyone I know to try out so I could get it sold....not one guy that took it to try wanted to buy it.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am

Scotty2hotty wrote:After posting this thread I went back to Cabela's to oreder one the price went back up.How are they tuned out of the package Scott recommends a stiffer tuned call ala Bad Grammer or are they tuned on the lighter side( I can't tune a call for crap).

I would describe it as a "lighter" tune. Certainly not what guys who normally push a lot of air through a call would like. It was tuned about "medium" in terms of the pitches you can comfortably get out of a goose call. I just like my calls to be easy to run at higher pitches .... like real geese sound.

http://www.bigseanscalls.com/

If you want to hear how I want my calls to sound, go to the website of Big Sean's calls and listen to the sound of real geese, when the website opens. Then, click on the video of him running his Mr. Big call. That's what I found my calls have to sound like to work when running traffic, which is the case when I'm pass shooting, and often when I'm in a stubble field. I don't have access to the X fields around here very often. I don't want my calls to sound deeper, like contest callers use when competing.

Here's a link to his sound files, with the one on Mr. Big further down the page on the right.

http://www.bigseanscalls.com/soundfiles.html

In the past, when I used deeper sounding calls ..... SR-1 and PC-1, in particular, they worked if I was in a field or on a spot in the marsh where they wanted to be. But, they'd ignore me .... most often wouldn't even look ... if I was trying to run traffic.

I have all my calls tuned much the same. Even my Triple X's .... a hedge and an acrylic ... When I got them, they sounded fine ... a little deeper than I prefer, but I gave them a shot .... the traffic geese ignored me. I adjusted the guts (slightly shortening the reed exposure) to deliver the same sort of higher pitched sounds and it was "night and day" in terms of the effect. The Triple X works pretty well when tuned up to be higher pitched. You do lose some of the bottom end by tuning it that way, of course, but it's still hunting purpose good and the geese respond better to it if you're where they don't really want to be.

The goose hunting sucked big time last year around here, but I can't blame that on the call. It worked well on those few that were around.

tripleb
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am

Sounds like a lot of added work to do all of these mods,switch out guts,alter different guts,shave reeds to a precise thickness,it's no wonder they are letting them go so quickly after purchase.
So really you have EX3 call shell with a different call makers gut and reed,yet the EX3 is the best call out there today to call at birds leaving a refuge and pass shoot them. :rolleyes:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 am

ColoradoGooser wrote:Sounds like a lot of added work to do all of these mods,switch out guts,alter different guts,shave reeds to a precise thickness,it's no wonder they are letting them go so quickly after purchase.
So really you have EX3 call shell with a different call makers gut and reed,yet the EX3 is the best call out there today to call at birds leaving a refuge and pass shoot them. :rolleyes:

Is it the "best call out there to call at birds leaving a refuge and pass shoot them"? I wouldn't know. They're coming into the refuge, not flying out of it .... going to feed with 100 to 400 other geese about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from me, when I call them off their flight paths, out of the refuge, and shoot them. If you think calling geese to where you are laying on their dinner plate (corn stubble field) surrounded by a 100 or more plastic replicas of their friends and family is challenging ... you ought to try to call them away from their real friends and family a short distance away to a place no goose would ever want to go ... with just the calling as a lure. :lol3: Success or failure at that is a true test of whether the call and/or calling makes a difference. If you're set up in a feeding field, surrounded by a bunch of decoys, you don't know why they came to you ... Was it the calling? The decoy spread? The availability of food? If they don't come, or leave without coming into range ... Was it because of bad calling? The decoy spread wasn't right? They had fed out that field before and knew it didn't contain feed? The blinds weren't hidden adequately? Someone was rubber necking? Your decoys didn't look realistic enough?

If they come to me at this location, I know that it's the calling, and only the calling, which changed their direction to over me.

I could have left the call as it was set up, though tuning a little higher in pitch (as I have done with my other calls), and it would have worked fine. But, the modification was for my purposes, easy to make and took only about 20 minutes to do. It ain't rocket science. I do like how the call sounds, though I don't know if it's the design of the call or the material used, a Delrin/acetal blend. And, most importantly, the geese seem to like it too.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Marcus ill take that bad boy of your hands for you.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum