Ok i need help

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Ok i need help

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 pm

Alright so i wanna learn how to goose call.

I can make multiple clucks really fast. Single clucks. Double clucks like to-wit.

I can also make what i suppose is a feeding call? It sounds like short small growls.

What else should i learn and how do i do it?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Draker11 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:48 am

Sounds like you have some of the basics down.... There are some other techniques that I use and I like to consider myself a good goose caller...unless the geese tell me different!

The first thing you need to consider is are you focusing on trying to sound like one goose or a group? Will you be calling alone or hunting with friends/family/other callers? If so, that is your best bet. As crazy as it sounds, my dad and two friends of mine and myself actually sit down at the blind before and even during season and go through a calling sequence so we aren't drowning each other out. The growls are definitely something to hold on to, a nice addition to any calling. Also, you forgot the Plead Call. If you haven't heard of that one let me know and I'll try to describe it.

Those are probably the basics, anything else, let me know.

Rob
Draker11
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:16 am

Is the plead call the one that goes eeeeahhhhh?

When should i use what calls?

Ill be hunting with more people but none will be calling except for an occasional cluck.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Draker11 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:22 am

GB,

You have the right idea on the plead call, use that only when they are flying away from you or are off in the distance and you are using it as an attention getter. I usually mix the growls in when they are overhead or mix it in with my normal clucking. When the geese get closer, if possible, have one of your hunting partners "cluck" if thats all he can do, great. If you have ever listened to a group of geese when they have more geese approaching, they seem to be in a more excited state, which you want to portray. So when he is clucking, have him speed it up some, trying to sound excited. If you mix your honks in with his clucks, you should have almost everything taken care of.

When I say almost, and I might be jumping more into this than I needed to, but make sure your decoy spread is set up according to wind, blind placement, etc and also, if you haven't used a flag, start now. It might be one of the single most effective attractants known to goose hunting (in my opinion).

Besides that, just listen to what the geese want to hear. Some might want a bunch of calling, others might want one or two honks. Normally when you are calling at geese, the lead goose will do a lot of the talking, so listen for her and replicate the type of calls she is making.

Sorry about the ramble, anything else, let me know.

Rob
Draker11
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:26 pm

How do u make ur growls?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Randy Loker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:32 pm

Hey Gooseboy, for more sounds go to callingducks. It's a .com in case you were wondering.

Cool place and lots of helpful info, it helped helped me quite a bit.
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:55 am

To me, when I think of growls, I think of a very low pitch moan that is drawn out a bit.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Is a growl kinda like the "to" in "to-wit" ? I've never realy known what people were talking about when they said this.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:25 pm

Yeah, kind of like that, but keep it low pitch and deep. Draw it out to a longer note.
goosecaller
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:14 pm

So whats the feeding call? I thought a growl was like tuuu tuu tuu tuu.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby goosecaller » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:51 am

The growl is used by geese on the ground. I use it sometimes as a finishing call. When I feed call I use short clucks and maybe through in some moans. You should find a site to listen to all of these calls and then try and imitate them. Try the site that Randy Loker mentioned. Should help a lot. The main things you are going to need in your arsenal are going to be clucks, double clucks, and moans. These in my opinion are going to be your go to calls.
goosecaller
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum