What to call to start out on?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Postby MOhunter13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Ive never goose hunted much let alone called. I am wanting to get into goose calling if nothing else just for fun. I will use a short reed. My question is...What is the best way to start out? Should i go expensive up front or start out with a cheaper call? Any call suggestions? Like i said, I have never called before so im sure it will take a while to get it down. I have been duck calling for about 2 years now and i now have it down considerably well. I am gonna take up goose calling for future goose hunts and for fun. How should i go about getting my first call? What goose call do you reccomend for canadas?
    Remington 870 Express 20 Gauge=$400
    Duck calls=$120
    Waders=$100
    Shells=$15
    Grand Total= 1,000,000,000 DEAD DUCKS
MOhunter13
hunter

Re: What to call to start out on?

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Check out our Assassinator call. It is a much longer call which allows you to break the call over much easier and has plenty of built in back-pressure. It comes with our A-5 guts which have tuning wedges on the bottom of the gut so that if the guts come out or you try to tune it and don't know how to get it back together, the wedge will sit right on the wedges and everything will be back up and running :thumbsup: I hope you can understand that :huh:

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and we can talk.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:13 am

A longer call is usually easier to learn on as it is more forgiving of how you hold it than a short call. But, I'd stay away from calls used by contest callers, at least until you get more experience.

One thing I would recommend is that you get a copy of the Molt Gear (Scott Threinen) DVD "Bad Grammer". It's probably the best instructional on goose call operation for hunting currently on the market. It's well worth the $20 investment, regardless of the call you end up buying.
tripleb
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:09 pm

if your serious about getting down on a goose call go with a good one right from the start, its an investment, the Strait Meat Honker is a great call to start on, and is a proven goose killer and comes with a lifetime warrenty, the customer service and the number of staffers around willing to get you started is a plus. i work for Foiles, they have some discontinued colors on sale for a great price. so check them out and get ta honking
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Winglock Whisperer. You can Thank me later on in the season. :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 am

mayhem96 wrote:Check out our Assassinator call. It is a much longer call which allows you to break the call over much easier and has plenty of built in back-pressure. It comes with our A-5 guts which have tuning wedges on the bottom of the gut so that if the guts come out or you try to tune it and don't know how to get it back together, the wedge will sit right on the wedges and everything will be back up and running :thumbsup: I hope you can understand that :huh:

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Good suggestion. I got to blow one of these this year at a contest and I was very pleased with it. Very good call to grow in you calling with.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby slayer33 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:08 am

Id recommend getting highend call a dvd bad grammer or zinks dvd call is up to u get what feels comfortable in ur hands

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using Tapatalk 2
slayer33
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:17 am

The Powerhouse was the best call for me and those who I ave helped over the years. It is a longer call that still has a nice sharp pitch, outstanding range. It has enough back pressure that it runs very easily but it is a call you can grow into. I still use mine and i have no issue pointing you in this direction, My son became a better caller instantly with this call. Mark offered him some free lessons over the phone and with that encouragement and a great call he really took off. The guys at Gander Valley have impressed me with the line up calls, and service that is the best in the business.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:29 am

MOhunter13 wrote:Ive never goose hunted much let alone called. I am wanting to get into goose calling if nothing else just for fun. I will use a short reed. My question is...What is the best way to start out? Should i go expensive up front or start out with a cheaper call? Any call suggestions? Like i said, I have never called before so im sure it will take a while to get it down. I have been duck calling for about 2 years now and i now have it down considerably well. I am gonna take up goose calling for future goose hunts and for fun. How should i go about getting my first call? What goose call do you reccomend for canadas?

Do you have a good sporting goods store around you,that you could go and try a variety of calls at?
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:04 pm

A very good starter goose call is the Zink Power Clucker PC-1 for about $30 bucks or the Primos Honky Tonk for $25... An absolute must have is the Bad Grammer CD or DVD... Stay away from Buck Gardner calls for geese. I love his duck calls, but his goose calls require too much air.

But, if you are sure you want to get into goose hunting, go with a good high end call. I have a Zink COD and and a Lynch Mob Reaper. The Zink is a lower sounding call and the Reaper is a higher pitch for lessers. Both of these calls call require very little air pressure and can be blown loud as hell or soft and sweet... The funny thing is that expensive isn't always better. My PC-1 is so broke in that I find myself grabbing it as much as any of my high end calls... When you are learning to blow the call, stick with one until you master it!!! Then move on to different calls. It will help you better understand air pressure and air movement through the call... Good luck!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby Dave63 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:52 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:Winglock Whisperer. You can Thank me later on in the season. :thumbsup:

This times about a hundred.
Dave63
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:10 pm

MOhunter13 wrote:Ive never goose hunted much let alone called. I am wanting to get into goose calling if nothing else just for fun. I will use a short reed. My question is...What is the best way to start out? Should i go expensive up front or start out with a cheaper call? Any call suggestions? Like i said, I have never called before so im sure it will take a while to get it down. I have been duck calling for about 2 years now and i now have it down considerably well. I am gonna take up goose calling for future goose hunts and for fun. How should i go about getting my first call? What goose call do you reccomend for canadas?

I started out on a Zink PC-1 which is a cheaper call and easy to use. Once i got that one down really good and could call in geese with it I moved up to the Zink Money Maker which is a louder call and almost as easy as the PC-1 to use. Just my .02 cents from my experience. Also im sure people have already told you but if you have any friends that have calls try them out and see hich one you like best. Everyone is different.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 am

Fowl-Attitude wrote:The Powerhouse was the best call for me and those who I ave helped over the years. It is a longer call that still has a nice sharp pitch, outstanding range. It has enough back pressure that it runs very easily but it is a call you can grow into. I still use mine and i have no issue pointing you in this direction, My son became a better caller instantly with this call. Mark offered him some free lessons over the phone and with that encouragement and a great call he really took off. The guys at Gander Valley have impressed me with the line up calls, and service that is the best in the business.

Great advice..... great calls with outstanding service!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Fowl-Attitude wrote:
Fowl-Attitude wrote:The Powerhouse was the best call for me and those who I ave helped over the years. It is a longer call that still has a nice sharp pitch, outstanding range. It has enough back pressure that it runs very easily but it is a call you can grow into. I still use mine and i have no issue pointing you in this direction, My son became a better caller instantly with this call. Mark offered him some free lessons over the phone and with that encouragement and a great call he really took off. The guys at Gander Valley have impressed me with the line up calls, and service that is the best in the business.

Great advice....

Careful, a fellow could hurt his arm with that kind of pat on the back.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Fowl-Attitude wrote:

Great advice....

Careful, a fellow could hurt his arm with that kind of pat on the back.

No wonder I agreed, lol. Thanks for picking on me Rick. :wink:
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I picked up my first goose call ever zink power clucker an it tok a matter of minutes to figure it out watched a video on youtube an fibe tuned my calling today seen my first flock if honkers fly over since i got the call ran to my truck gave a few honks an moans they turned back came right to me circling lower an lower till they were 25 30 yards up wanted to land but the gravel parking lot with no decoys had em puzzlef but they stayed that low just circled around around till i quit calling
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby ShotGunEd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:Winglock Whisperer. You can Thank me later on in the season. :thumbsup:

Is that Acrylic, Poly, or Wood?

Sent from the blind using Tapatalk
It's a good day for ducks to die...
ShotGunEd
hunter

Postby Dave63 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:02 pm

ShotGunEd wrote:

Is that Acrylic, Poly, or Wood?

I prefer wood, myself. But, you can't go wrong with any of them.
Dave63
hunter

Postby ShotGunEd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks

It's a good day for ducks to die...
ShotGunEd
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 am

Start off with the PC-1, its a good beginner call. then when you have that down go to some shops and blow the more expensive ones like RNT G3, RNT Warbird, Zink Money Maker, Zink Call of Death, ect..... Theres alot of them out there and to find whats right for you, you have to go test yourself. If you have friends that have them see if you can blow their calls and see how you like it. Thats what I did.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum