Help please

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Help please

Postby band killer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm

I have a zink paralyzer and it is breaking over way to easy. NO moan what so ever. Should I make the reed longer or shorter? How do I get the reed out? Could I need new guts? The call blew great untill last weekend. Im sure these are rookie questions but well.. I am a rookie.
band killer
hunter

Re: Help please

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Here are some good info on tuning a goose call.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... p?t=612023
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Your call guts were probably a little loose and the reed moved on you. If there is a tuning groove on the tone board, set the wedge so the front edge is lined up with the middle of the tuning groove. The tip of the reed should be as close as possible to the end of the tone channel, but still able to dip into it when pressed down. If your reed has been shaved or sanded, that part goes up. This is only a start point.

If the call is too high pitched, as it probably is if you can't get a moan on it, but could before, move the wedge away from the tip of the reed, very slightly, about the width of the tuning groove. If it's too deep sounding for you, move it closer toward the middle.

If the call sounds too deep if the wedge is set in the middle of the tuning groove, move the wedge closer to the tip of the reed.

Remember, the reed tip needs to be very, very close to the end of the tone channel or the call will require more air to run than necessary. However, if the tip of the reed can't dip into the tone channel, you won't be able to get a honk out of the call.

The tutorial mentioned in the post above is a very good thing to read before you start playing with the call guts.

This pic shows the relationship of the wedge and tuning groove on one call I have. It's not necessarily set the same as you would use for your call.

tripleb
hunter

Postby band killer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Got it sounding a hell of a lot better. Both replies were helpful.
Thanks guys!! :thumbsup:
band killer
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum