kinda first call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

kinda first call?

Postby hobbsj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Duck season is closing up here in a few months, but I was thinking of asking for a call for Christmas. I still call myself an amateur/newbie hunter and even worse caller. I have a cheap call a buddy gave me (single reed) that he got for free and a Winglock insert (double reed) that I put in to a barrel and stopper I turned out of osage orange. I'm on the ignorant on what good calls sound like and how they blow. I can do just a couple of basic quacks/greeting calls. Any ideas on a good call to ask for? I'm hoping to keep it under $100 and under $75 would be great with under $50 being outstanding. Any advice is appreciated.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Re: kinda first call?

Postby Rajah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:00 pm

RNT Shortbarrel in wood. That is the one call I wish I had from the beginning. It doesn't leave my lanyard.
Bazinga!!
Rajah
hunter

Re: kinda first call?

Postby dgram36 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am

Rajah wrote:RNT Shortbarrel in wood. That is the one call I wish I had from the beginning. It doesn't leave my lanyard.

x2 I just treated myself to a short barrel in cocobolo as an early present and I wasn't disappointed.
dgram36
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum