pm-1 question need help

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

pm-1 question need help

Postby quackhunter3 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:48 am

ok i just got a poly carb power maximus and in the beginning it would do everything i wnted it to but know it does note that i dont want and when i go hail call it doesnt stay on the note it goes everywhere :help:
quackhunter3
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Did you drop the call??? You may have got the call out of tune. Or....did you blow the call for a long time? If you did you may have a tired diaphragm....which means you got tired and the air pressure from you is now inconsistant. Wait a few hours then go back to your call. If that is the problem don't worry....you will build up endruance. The PM-1 takes more air than most calls.

Now if the call is out of tune.....than you may have problem.

1. Take the call apart.
2. Make sure the tip of the reed has enough room to drop below the tone board. The tone board is the long piece of the guts with a"valley" cut in it.
You want the reed to just barely have enough room to drop into the tone board.
3. If the reed is sideways or the tip of the reed is hitting the top of the tone board...than you are going to have to take the guts out of the call.
4. Push the guts into the call...it will be easier to get out this way, one piece at a time.
5. Now that all the guts have been removed from the call, place the reed on the tone board w/ the tip just barely having enough room to drop into the tone board.
6. This next part will have little bit of preference involved. Place the wedge on top of the reed and tone board. The lower you place the wedge, the deeper the call. Higher wedge= higher pitched call. You can get to high or to low and the call won't work. Don't get mad, it may take you a few times to find the pitch you want.
7. When the wedge and reed are on top of the tone board like you want them....carefully slide the guts back into the exhaust. Be careful not to let the wedge and reed slide around. Be sure the guts are in tight.
8. When the guts are in, slide the exhaust back into the bell(Put the call back together).
9. Try your call see how it sounds....don't like the sound try it again. Check the reed placement and adjust your wedge.
mccree79
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks for the detailed instruction! That should be a sticky to help those new to tuning their own calls!

The only thing I will add is that required air pressure may change as you tune the call.

Good job!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:35 pm

QuackHunter, did you get the call fixed????
mccree79
hunter

Postby quackhunter3 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:19 pm

yeah i got it fixed but after resident season a got a foiles meatgrinder
quackhunter3
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:06 pm

:toofunnylol i guess that is one way of fixing a call :toofunny:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Great Instructions! This should be a stick on how to tune a short reed. I baught a PM-1 at the end of goose season. I have been practicing quite a bit on it, but was never quite happy with it. For the early season I put it away and got my flute back out. Come to figure, it was WAY out of tune out of the box. I've got it tuned perfectly now and it is SO much easier to blow than my flute is and it sounds better.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Re: pm-1 question need help

Postby fowlboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:25 am

quackhunter3 wrote:ok i just got a poly carb power maximus and in the beginning it would do everything i wnted it to but know it does note that i dont want and when i go hail call it doesnt stay on the note it goes everywhere :help:

Get a new reed in it!! Call the shop, they'll fix you up... 1877 legband
fowlboy
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum