speck call hand placement

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

speck call hand placement

Postby AK.airboater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:50 pm

just got my new riceland speck call in the mail. watched the basic calling video by bill. he stated that you grasp call with your finger slightly over lapping end of barrel. he dosnt state index or middle finger. in the video it appears he is using his index finger to hold the call? i find this hard to do. if i grasp the call with index and over lap end of barrel with my middle finger it feels more stable in my hand, and i can still produce the basic two note. is this ok to do? or do i need to grasp call with only thumb and index finger thus creating more of a chamber at end of call?
thanks,
steve
AK.airboater
hunter

Re: speck call hand placement

Postby bgk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:57 am

I am sure either but it looks to me that he has the call gripped at an angle with his thumb and index finger. His middle finger might be slightly covering the hole. The video is not sharp enough for me to be sure. I hope that someone else can shed some light on your question.
bgk
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am

Just call Bill and ask. He looks a little wild but won't bite. Super nice fellow.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby AK.airboater » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:42 pm

how do you place your hand on the riceland rick ?
AK.airboater
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:25 pm

I've always been a two handed caller with back pressure coming from cupping the call with all but thumb and index finger of the holding hand and that second hand, rather than partly blocking the exhaust with one of the holding hand's fingers.

My guess is that Bill was suggesting using the middle finger for back pressure, but I don't know that with certainty.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Ran into Bill, and he said you called. Glad to hear it and hope he got you up and running.

Seems a lot of us are more reluctant than we probably should be to phone a call maker when we've questions, but that sort of CS is part of what we're paying for with expensive "customs". Shoot, even more mass producers of inexpensive calls, like the Haydels, are more than willing to spend some phone time helping their customers get the most out of their calls.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby AK.airboater » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:18 am

i ended up talking to James before bill and he is a nice guy also. he said he calls a little different than bill but stated it would not matter index finger or middle finger. as rick stated a lot has to do with the cupping of the hands. main thing i got out of talking to him was is to grab that call with one hand the same way and make it break over every time clean and crisp, then go to two hand and work on the different tones/scales etc... so far everyone is right its pretty easy to break it over. ive got two note, 3 note, and clucks on a scale( sometimes)using my thumb and index finger.james said when calling specks sometimes less is best i hope hes right cause when i get to AR. in 2 weeks thats about all ill be able to do!!!!!
later,
steve
AK.airboater
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:38 am

What I've heard from guys here who've hunted them there, a lot of Arkansas specks still don't see much gun pressure. So you should be able to find some newer to calls than you, and things should work out nicely for you. Hope you have a ball.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum