Help on a goose call please...

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Help on a goose call please...

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:07 am

I have duck and goose hunted off and on my whole life (31 years old) but I never really got that much into calling. In my hunting group, most of the other guys have done the calling to this point. Over the last year, one of them gave me a Big River Long Honker Goose Call to try / help calling when we spread out on some hunts. Overall, I haven't been really happy with it. They showed me how to use it and I have practiced some but the geese haven't been responding to it much. Well I am fed up and want to step up to a nicer call (and I guess a short reed call). I am fine spending up to $200 for a call and will absolutely take the time to learn how to use it.

So what should I get starting out? Any suggestions / thoughts would be most appreciated. :beer:
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Re: Help on a goose call please...

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:12 am

Oh, and I have already done some looking around. Here are some of the calls I have been looking at and some that I found highly praised on this forum when doing some quick searches:

Gander Valley Custom Call XXX
Gander Valley Custom Call PCS
Zink Call of Death
Zink Power Clucker
Zink Paralyzer
Field Proven Matrix

I also figure I need some reference materials. Some of the calls come with "how to" DVDs but I also saw the Tim Grounds Bad Grammer DVD that seemed to get good reviews / ratings. Any thoughts on how to learn to call would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Yaaker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:31 am

Bad Grammer will be the best money ever spent on goose calling.

I have run the Zink COD and NOS, and I much prefer the NOS, so look into that one. The COD is more of a lesser call, where the NOS is a bit deeper.
Yaaker
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Foiles Migrators has/had calls on special. The strait meat line was running for 80 buck, it was a clear out of colors so give them a look, its half the price of the normal colors. You can also pick up calling geese the strait meat way OR wait a bit, pick up the newest call in the FMI line. the REDEMPTION its a nasty goosey call its not out yet but should be soon been running mine this weekend
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Gander Valley XXX or PCS. Wing lock Whisperer has put tons of geese in heaven too:)
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Tons and tons of great calls...but you can have a $200.00 call and you're a $2.00 caller....not gunna make much difference....practice right get the right instructions from people that know what they are talking about.
Good luck with it. It will take some time to learn..don't rush it.
These are what I use for goose calls:

Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I am down to either a GVCC XXX or a Winglock Whisperer. It seems that both of these are a go to call of many goose hunters, they are easy to use and take less air, they provide good speed and range, and imo they are at great prices.

That leads me to two questions:

1. I have seen some people mention watching the Bad Grammer DVD before you ever buy a call because apparently (from what I gathered from a few posts / online sources), the DVD talks about the type of call you should buy. Is this correct? I am definitely going to buy the DVD as well and watch it religiously, but should I hold off on purchasing a call until I watch it? I don't want to rush into anything... but then again, I have seen very few bad things written about the two calls above.

2. Which call above to get? Most of my hunting is in swamps that have some open water. We typically see two different flights of geese; a) the ones that come in just over the trees and don't really need much calling because they have seen the decoys and are coming in anyway and b) we see flocks of high geese passing nearby / overhead that are focused on heading elsewhere. I would like to have a call that would help with both. Based on what I have read, I worry that although the Winglock Wisperer is a great call, it might be too quiet (soft?) for my hunting.

Thanks again for the help :beer:
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 am

IMO the Winglock is the easier call to run, get the acrylic or a hedge if you can find one. The XXX is a great call, I just believe the Winglock is one of the best "starter" short reed calls to run. Use it to get the basics down and then move on from there. I don't believe you can do a search on any forum and find much negativity about the Whisperer. :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 am

I have always been a huge fan of Doc Hulls customs. Here recently I was turned on to the DRC MOD, It's the best goose call I have ever seen. My goose lanyard has a Doc Hull custom and a Lynch Mob Closer. I got the Doc Hulls about 2 months ago to replace an older Doc call I had. Went hunting with my younger brother and one of his friends the other day. The friend had a DRC MOD after playing with it I had to get one. Its on the way now. I also have winglock custom longneck call for a back up call. If interested I would sale you the winglock, pm for pics and details.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:54 am

I'd get both the poly longneck and whisperer...the whisperer is to quiet to reach out there..it's a nice close in call..as it was designed for. The geese I'm sure can hear it to probably out to 150-200 yds, on a calm day or if the wind is blowing towards them.....I relly love mine for the areas where I hunt
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:32 am

goosehunter64 wrote:I'd get both the poly longneck and whisperer...the whisperer is to quiet to reach out there..it's a nice close in call..as it was designed for. The geese I'm sure can hear it to probably out to 150-200 yds, on a calm day or if the wind is blowing towards them.....I relly love mine for the areas where I hunt

I'd agree with the description of the Whisperer. It is an easy to blow call, but it's too quiet for general purpose goose hunting to use by itself. Of the calls you listed, I'd go with the Triple X. They're pretty easy to blow, though they will require more air to run and sound good. Hedge is a good choice if you hunt over water or in areas where you get echos. Acrylic will give a bit sharper crack to the notes. I have both, though I retuned them a little higher in pitch as the geese around here seem to respond better to the higher pitched notes.

If you want a deep sounding call, the Longneck will do that. Personally, I've had better luck with the higher pitched calls, though.
tripleb
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:11 am

tripleb wrote:
goosehunter64 wrote:I'd get both the poly longneck and whisperer...the whisperer is to quiet to reach out there..it's a nice close in call..as it was designed for. The geese I'm sure can hear it to probably out to 150-200 yds, on a calm day or if the wind is blowing towards them.....I relly love mine for the areas where I hunt

I'd agree with the description of the Whisperer. It is an easy to blow call, but it's too quiet for general purpose goose hunting to use by itself. Of the calls you listed, I'd go with the Triple X. They're pretty easy to blow, though they will require more air to run and sound good. Hedge is a good choice if you hunt over water or in areas where you get echos. Acrylic will give a bit sharper crack to the notes. I have both, though I retuned them a little higher in pitch as the geese around here seem to respond better to the higher pitched notes.

If you want a deep sounding call, the Longneck will do that. Personally, I've had better luck with the higher pitched calls, though.

Yes I agree...I like a little higher pitched call as well.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:41 pm

aclumpkin wrote:1. I have seen some people mention watching the Bad Grammer DVD before you ever buy a call because apparently (from what I gathered from a few posts / online sources), the DVD talks about the type of call you should buy. Is this correct? I am definitely going to buy the DVD as well and watch it religiously, but should I hold off on purchasing a call until I watch it? I don't want to rush into anything... but then again, I have seen very few bad things written about the two calls above.

2. Which call above to get? Most of my hunting is in swamps that have some open water. We typically see two different flights of geese; a) the ones that come in just over the trees and don't really need much calling because they have seen the decoys and are coming in anyway and b) we see flocks of high geese passing nearby / overhead that are focused on heading elsewhere. I would like to have a call that would help with both. Based on what I have read, I worry that although the Winglock Wisperer is a great call, it might be too quiet (soft?) for my hunting.

About all Bad Grammer will really tell you about choosing a call is not to do it with your wallet. But it is a fine primer on calling.

You'll find it much easier to run a XXX quietly for close birds than to reach out with a Whisperer for far ones.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Rick Hall wrote:You'll find it much easier to run a XXX quietly for close birds than to reach out with a Whisperer for far ones.

I was doing some more researching and I found a few hunters saying that the Whisperer is a fantastic call but it is not as loud as some of others. So thanks for posting that info because I started wondering exactly what you answered... whether it is better /easier to make a soft call louder or loud call quieter.

I am planning on calling both GVCC and WingLock on Monday to get some more info directly from them before I buy.

As of now, I am leaning toward starting with the XXX and then looking to get a Whisperer a close second. I have read quite a few posts where hunters say that they actually have both calls and they start with the XXX and save the Whisperer for when the geese come in close. Maybe if I have a good Christmas, I'll be able to afford both :grooving:
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Oh, and GooseHunter64, thanks for your input as well! :beer:

I guess the question I have for you is which Whisperer would you recommend? Walnut, poly, or acrylic? I am kind of drawn to acrylic because those are ones my friends mostly own that I have randomly tried from time to time. My friends are also recommending (I wouldn't say pushing though) me to go acrylic.

Does the walnut, poly, and acrylic Whisperer sound different? My understanding is that the poly and the acrylic takes less maintenance than walnut... is that the case? Lastly, what is the main difference between poly and acrylic?

Thanks in advance for the help!
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Wood calls sound softer than poly or acrylic b/c the wood is less dense allowing it to absorb some of the sound. The bad thing about wood is that is also absorbs moisture. The moisture will cause the wood to weaken over time resulting in cracks in breaks, especially in very cold weather. I wouldn't go with any poly call, it isn't very durable and the sound seems a little off to me. Acrylic is by far the best that you can have imo. It is a very dense substance and doesn't absorb moisture or sound. The sound is crisp and clean, and acrylic is virtually unbreakable.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Drop an acrylic call on your driveway and you may find otherwise. Probably more apt to break than poly.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:46 pm

It may have been some faulty material. I dropped an acrylic off my balcony onto to the cement beside the pool on accident and it was fine, just a little surface scratch. It was an acrylic rnt. My younger brother broke an echo poly timber when shouldering his gun a few years ago.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 pm

If I was you for the all round whisperer call..is go Poly. Rough and tough and will sound slightly mellower then the acrylic... but will most likely last longer.
I had a delrin, have a hedge, blown a couple of other....but seriously...when that quiet...not much difference....it's just pure low end goose. :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Today's poly calls....are not like we used 10-20 yrs ago... :no:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:52 am

rebelp74 wrote:It may have been some faulty material. I dropped an acrylic off my balcony onto to the cement beside the pool on accident and it was fine, just a little surface scratch. It was an acrylic rnt. My younger brother broke an echo poly timber when shouldering his gun a few years ago.

Interesting. I've a Daisy cutter that chipped like flint when it fell off a truck seat and know more than a few folks who've snapped the tabs off Arkansas style acrylic duck calls inserting new corks. My old Quackhead J-frames went through years of daily use and abuse, as well as the grandkid wars, with nothing but scuffs and dings. Only "polys" I've seen "break" were the thin Haydel's cracking from compression. Most guys here have theirs wrapped with electrical tape, and many claim to prefer their tone that way. (Certainly hasn't kept the DR-85 from being far and away the most popular duck call in my part of the country.)

Would also question your comments on wood, as there are some dense woods, like blackwood, that most couldn't distinguish tonally from acrylic. (Not really sure anyone can.) And such dense, oily wood isn't apt to crack, if it's been properly dried in the first place. Hedge seems the most likely of woods to crack, and I've been told by makers that that's generally a drying issue, too. But I find hedge has a resonance I favor in goose calls and don't mind the trouble of rubbing a little butcher block treatment on mine once a year. (My hedge XXX came with such a good finish on it that I doubt it's absorbed any of the treatment to date, but I now order wood calls unfinished and just use Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner on them without cracking worries.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:23 pm

I agree on the dr-85, probably the most popular call from my area(where haydel's is) to yours in swla and agreed on the blackwood and hedge. Most people don't get exotic woods like african blackwood so I was referring to the more common woods, guess I should've been more specific. Blackwood also makes beautiful callls. It doesn't get much better as far as sound with hedge or curly maple imo in both duck and goose calls but they lack the fiber compostion and oil of some others. Over the years I've had several different kinds of wood calls split, mainly in freezing temps on hunts up north. Never used the butchers block, sounds like I need to start! I use a beeswax/oil/and something else mix I get from a neighbor he's a taxidermist/wood worker. I have lost 2 calls since using it a hedge watkins swamp bore in north dakota and a curly maple goose flute in nebraska. Watkins was 4 years old and flute was 2. Before using it would loose a call every 2-3 years. I blamed the -0 tems on the flute and the age/single digit temps on the swamp bore, you think it could be the mixture I'm using? Off topic, I've been thinking about getting a doc hull goose call and daisy cutter made out of cypress, think it would hold up and sound ok?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:36 pm

"Food grade mineral oil stabilized with Vitamin E, beeswax and carnauba wax."
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm going to give it a try. Hope it can handle below freezing temps better than what I'm using now.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:42 am

Well my calls came in yesterday :yes:

Calls.JPG

I had a very good Christmas so I got both a GVCC Hybrid and a GVCC XXX. Mark was EXTREMELY helpful and nice! I played around with the calls last night and this morning and thus far I love them! They are easy to blow, have great range (especially between the two calls), and are great quality.

Thanks again everyone for their input and help! My Bad Grammer DVD came in as well so I am off to do some learning and practicing! :beer:
aclumpkin
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum