Favorite honker call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Re: Favorite honker call?

Postby Yaaker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm not arguing that. I have used a COD on big honkers. The fact of the matter is, a call is meant to replicate the sound of the bird. The COD replicates the sound of a lesser Canada. The NOS/Money Maker replicate the sound of a honker Canada. Again, I am not arguing with the point you two have made, but you are both missing the point.

You can use a teal whistle and have a greenhead fly in. You can use a speck call and have a Canada take a look at your spread. The point is, you can use anything to call any bird you want, but a call designed to be a "honker call" is one designed to replicate that sound, not to restrict you to that specific call only for calling in those specific birds.
Yaaker
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Duckslayer26 wrote:
Yaaker wrote:We should clear up that the Zink COD is not a honker call. It is a lesser call. The Money Maker and NOS are their honker calls.

That being said, I prefer the NOS or the PCC 509.

I agree, its too high of a pitch for a honker IMO. I like my RNT G3 & RNT Warbird.

Experience may change your mind about "honker" calls. Once won a bet tolling our limits of giants with a squeeze bulb bicycle horn that was mighty high pitched, then did it again the next day just 'cause I could. Not giving higher pitched calls a go with big Canada, because they're somehow supposed to be "lesser" calls, could cost you birds.

I have to run a lot of traffic birds where I hunt. In the last part of the season, it is often pass shooting as they fly from a refuge roost quarry to a refuge feeding area inside the city. So, I get to see what sort of sounds the birds respond to and what they ignore, without the complicating factors of decoys and feed to affect their reactions. When hunting that area in years past, I used a lower pitched "goosey" call .... and was invariably ignored. But, when I switched several years back to using a high pitched call, birds started responding well to the calling ..... not all of them .... not even most of them, but enough to shoot a a few, which was not possible in years I used a lower pitched call. Most of the big geese you hear are high pitched. If you make the sounds they make, they tend to respond well ... or at least some do. Now, when you're in the decoys, it becomes more important to be lower pitched ... using more moans, buzz clucks, etc., if you're dealing with smaller groups of geese. Around here, a flock containing 2 dozen geese is about as big as we normally get.
Last edited by tripleb on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tripleb
hunter

Postby gmkempf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 pm

I have used them all over the years. My go to call is the Alberta Clipper from Cold Front Calls. I feel that a higher pitched call will day in day out get more responses from geese. Ive tuned it high but that call has low end that is just nasty. The range, GREAT service from Randy,you cant beat it. Find a call you like and just learn how to blow it.
gmkempf
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Gander Valley P.C.S a great ergonomic fit for my small hands.
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Duckslayer26 wrote:
Yaaker wrote:We should clear up that the Zink COD is not a honker call. It is a lesser call. The Money Maker and NOS are their honker calls.

That being said, I prefer the NOS or the PCC 509.

I agree, its too high of a pitch for a honker IMO. I like my RNT G3 & RNT Warbird.

Experience may change your mind about "honker" calls. Once won a bet tolling our limits of giants with a squeeze bulb bicycle horn that was mighty high pitched, then did it again the next day just 'cause I could. Not giving higher pitched calls a go with big Canada, because they're somehow supposed to be "lesser" calls, could cost you birds.

I did notice that. I have a Zink COD and its a higher pitched call and I couldnt get birds to work really well with my others and i called in a few with it on a string! I agree with ya.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 am

For me its a hedge LMC X-Factor with their green guts. It keeps getting better and better as the reed bangs on that toneboard as well.

I really like the Reaper as well, but my X-Factor is the call that consistently stays on my lanyard.

When searching for goose calls I ran a bunch and I just liked the way LMCs ran. I bought and sold a couple other calls before running an X-Factor and since then i've added a Reaper and an acrylic X-Factor.

A few weeks ago I was at the shop and ran some of their new calls with the new Blood BIGs... Their new calls are sweet. I think im gonna add a Closer to my collection.

Sent from my RNT Daisy Cutter
garza7585
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Yaaker wrote:I'm not arguing that. I have used a COD on big honkers. The fact of the matter is, a call is meant to replicate the sound of the bird. The COD replicates the sound of a lesser Canada. The NOS/Money Maker replicate the sound of a honker Canada. Again, I am not arguing with the point you two have made, but you are both missing the point.

You can use a teal whistle and have a greenhead fly in. You can use a speck call and have a Canada take a look at your spread. The point is, you can use anything to call any bird you want, but a call designed to be a "honker call" is one designed to replicate that sound, not to restrict you to that specific call only for calling in those specific birds.

95% of calls are lower pitched than even the deepest of geese. Most CODs I have heard are deeper than actually geese. That's the reason why I use a high pitched call anywhere I go
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 pm

High pitch is what gets their attention. Even with big geese they like the high pitch. All my calls are tuned up high, i can still get low with them but they really do like hearing high pitches. I think i posted about my SMH being my go to call a while ago, I have been running the prototype REDEMPTION from FMI and i am here to tell ya that call is awesome, when they hit the shelves ya'll need to grab one
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Previous

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum