Good low budget call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Good low budget call?

Postby TCEA_Wintertime » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:48 pm

I am looking to buy a goose call since I have seen and shot a few geese duck hunting. I don't have a la erge budget so I can't go off buying a expensive call. I am looking into a quack head goozilla and have read good reviews about them. Any input or ideas?
Team Cut Em All
"Cut em"
"Kill Ducks"
TCEA_Wintertime
hunter

Re: Good low budget call?

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Winglock...one of the Top Meat Calls on the market.
Many of us on here own them and swear by them.

http://www.winglockcalls.com/goosecalls.htm
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 pm

That $20 Goozilla is a great call for the low end price,it would make a great low budget call for sure.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:34 pm

I like my Zink PC-1. It's one of the only ones I could make sound good in this price range. Came with a DVD for $30.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 am

$$$$ is always worth on a call IMO. Think of it like a musical instrument... But if you can't break from a budget, I'd say Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 pm

I cannot believe neither of these have been mentioned yet but tim grounds poly is a great call. But in my opinion best bang for your buck call is a field proven poly raptor. This call sounded awesome, and for 30 bucks it was even better. I couldn't find room on my rope for it button dad absolutely loves the thing.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Field Proven Poly Raptor or Grounds Polycarb.
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Let em Lite is good, they're acrylic and cheap. They sale em new on ebay for around $30 I tihnk.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Rogue35 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am

I really like my Goozilla.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
-Mitch
Rogue35
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 am

I suggest you look at Winglock, as well.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Buck Gardner Grey Ghost! I have a Tripe Crown but that Buck gets more use!
I've also killed geese with the Goosezilla, but knowing what I know now if spend 50 bucks. The Poly Carb TG Super Mag is great too!

Sent from my layout blind
Takeem406
hunter

Postby Rakoprtr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 pm

I like the buck gardner Canada hammer 2
Rakoprtr
Newb

Postby duckmaster55 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Buck Gardener Grey Ghost definately! I have the diamond wood version of it and I love it.

I have a friend that I hunt with and he has the quack head. It sounded great for awhile but after about a month it cracked which sure messed the sound all up. I know a lot of people seem to like it, so it could be a flaw made when that imparticular one was manufactured or just the fact that he used it a ton and brought it everywhere he went.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country"-George S. Patton
duckmaster55
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:48 am

Must of run over it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 pm

HS sledghammer awesome call & redhead is the only that carries them. It finishes 90% of the geese we shoot. I also give a zinks pc to every newcomer that's hunting w us that year. Easiest shortreed to learn on imo
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Bo Beaver » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Goose calls are an investment, I seriously suggest you spend absolutely as much as you can to buy a good quality call. Grounds are at the top of my list. My first decent call was a SuperMag that still has a spot on my lanyard today.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Bo Beaver wrote:I seriously suggest you spend absolutely as much as you can to buy a good quality call.

Trouble with that approach is that price doesn't always equate to quality, and a fellow without the basic skills to properly try out a call can spend a bundle on something that will never be a good fit for him.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Bo Beaver » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Bo Beaver wrote:I seriously suggest you spend absolutely as much as you can to buy a good quality call.

Trouble with that approach is that price doesn't always equate to quality, and a fellow without the basic skills to properly try out a call can spend a bundle on something that will never be a good fit for him.

You got me there Rick! I misspoke and Im glad you said something. What I meant was to try to make money as much of a nonissue as possible. If you find one that works for you that is more money and one that doesn't sound as good but is less money, I'd suggest making the investment for the better call if at all possible. It'll save you money in the long run.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Postby rcase1234 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Zink PC1. Polycarb for $30 with DVD
rcase1234
hunter

Postby 541-feet-down » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:48 pm

I believe the best way to learn how to blow a short reed is by choosing one you can't blow at all in the begin learning. I could run a zink and got a supermag and couldn't hardly turn it over. now being used to the supermag I can blow mostly any call on the market and the supermag if you got big honkers will set em down. will never blow a zink call again now. can't stand em they're made to sale IMO for easy to use not to sound the most goosey. that's just me though I've heard great callers use zink calls. the best call for the money is the browns waterfowl call has a stretched goose asaphagus in the barrel and sounds like a goose and really makes you use your hands correctly. great call. I use the oh sh*t around 60$
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum