Honker VS Lesser Call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Honker VS Lesser Call

Postby Team Travban » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:26 am

Hey Y'all,

Whats the difference between a Honker call and a Lesser call. What are some to look at and why?

Thanks!!
Team Travban
Newb

Re: Honker VS Lesser Call

Postby tripleb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 am

Physically, the "honker" call is often longer and tuned to be lower pitched, while the "lesser" call is often shorter and tuned to be high pitched. In practical terms, how the calls are tuned by the user will often offset the design of the call which tends to favor them being run lower pitched or higher pitched. I use calls which are less than 4" long for calling greater Canadas because the calls can be easily run fast, and high pitched ..... that's what most Canada geese sound like most of the time .... and they can also be run at a realistic lower pitch .... though not as low pitched as the longer so called, "honker" calls.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Yaaker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 pm

^ Bingo
Yaaker
hunter

Postby Team Travban » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Thank You!!! That helps a lot!!
Team Travban
Newb

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Also, typically a "honker" call is going to take more air to blow, as mentioned above this is because it is deeper than a lesser call, wich is high pitched, fast and doesn't take as much air to run.
As mentioned above, the most important part will be the guts. Relatively speaking, you can make any call a "honker" or a "lesser" call just by adjusting the guts.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 am

U can take a honker call and screw around with it enough that u can make a decent lesser call. Buy a honker call unless your really only shooting at lessers.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:27 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:U can take a honker call and screw around with it enough that u can make a decent lesser call. Buy a honker call unless your really only shooting at lessers.

I don't really agree with this. I've killed way more geese with my "lesser call" then any big honker call. To the point where I rarely ever carry a deep goose call.
If you spend any amount of time around a buch of geese you will here that the moan is what separates the big geese from lessers(excluding cacklers). All the clucks are a high pitch.
If I'm on the x with no wind ill grab a big gander call and finesse the low end. Every other hunting situation I want a high pitched fast call. Gets their attention and they are more attracted to that sound in my experience.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 pm

I run a Tim Grounds Triple Crown and its one of the most versitale calls out there. Lessers I would have to say do not care if they hear greaters or lessers but I beleive that greaters want to hear greaters. Triple Crown can get loud, fast, low, high, and everything in between why would I get a lesser call that cant get low something that puts meat on the table I would say
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Deep goose moans can be achieved on a "lesser call". But to me this isn't what gets geese to commit. Sharp clucks, spits, quick spits, hiccups. These get geese to commit. Geese don't get all deep goose moan when other geese are approaching they get defensive or excited and their pitch increases. And on wind or rain days there's a good chance they dont even hear that deep moan until they are in the hole.
The tim grounds half breed is the best example I can give. When it came out people thought it sounded like Sh&t. They used it and to this day I guarantee more geese have died hearing that call then any other call. It's not all about what you hear out of the end of the call its what it sounds like , 40,60,100,200 yards away that kill geese.

To each his own though.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 am

I use "lesser calls" all season long. Smallest goose I shot this season was around 6-7 lbs. Most were residents or "greaters" in the 8-12 pound range. DRC shortdrop and RNT dirtybird were the two calls I used primarily from august to december. I don't finish birds with low moans or any of that rabble babble. Quick spits or spit/cluck combos for me often are what keep the birds locked up on final approach. Only time i've ever switched to doing "low end ground work" with a deeper call was a dead calm late season day when it was snowing.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 pm

The only thing that I have seen that really enjoy the lower pitch is...wait for it...pause for dramatic effect...people. I used to think that the geese liked the lower pitch of the honker calls, but wow was I ever wrong. I was basically calling to hear myself. At least in my area, and a bunch of other areas I have noticed, all the geese including big residents react better to the higher pitched calls. I have had much better luck with a call that screams fast, loud, and high pitched...just me though... :thumbsup:
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 am

I personnally feel that it is not the call, but the way you are use it. A high pitched works very well on honkers, a low pitched call works great on lessers. You just need to adjust your "style and approach." The smaller the bird, the more aggressive they are. That is the calling style you need to mimic.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 am

Well stated Tipntails7 !!!!! And being on the X helps too :thumbsup:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby fowledevolution » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:31 pm

thanks guys good info here...
fowledevolution
hunter

Postby JaredR215 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:28 pm

The longer the call, the easier it is to blow. Watch the Zink videos, they tell you exactly that. But to answer the question, most lesser calls that I've blown are high pitched and a lot faster. My go to call is a Zink NOS and I've got it tuned pretty high for all the little guys around here, but can still get deep and goosey.
JaredR215
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:U can take a honker call and screw around with it enough that u can make a decent lesser call. Buy a honker call unless your really only shooting at lessers.

This is true. It is easier to get a higher pitch out of a longer call than a low pitch out of a short call. I make my own calls, and my most versatile call is around 5-3/4". I've even called snows with it. But I agree, too, that clucks are killers. I also have to say that there are a tremendous number of variables in a call design and calling styles, and finding one you are comfortable with is the key, then you will be the element that makes it sound like a honker or a lesser, or even a speck.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:07 am

I thought I'd throw this in just as some additional information for a potential choke purchaser. I have a couple friends who don't have deep voices ..... probably would be tenors if they were singers. One is a fairly short fellow .... about 5'4", 135 pounds, while the other is probably 5'10", 200+ pounds. I have a devil of a time tuning a short call for either of them so it can be run other than high pitched. I can tune them lower in pitch, but they still cannot get the lower pitched moans and clucks I can get from the same call. However, if I use a longer "honker" type call, they will run it higher pitched than I do ... and can get the lower pitched clucks and moans that they can't get on the shorter call. I don't know if this is something they can train themselves to change, or whether they're simply better off with a bit longer call.
tripleb
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:30 pm

shootable Goose wrote:Also, typically a "honker" call is going to take more air to blow, as mentioned above this is because it is deeper than a lesser call, wich is high pitched, fast and doesn't take as much air to run.
As mentioned above, the most important part will be the guts. Relatively speaking, you can make any call a "honker" or a "lesser" call just by adjusting the guts.

Higher pitch calls aren't necessarily light and deeper pitch calls aren't necessarily heavy. That has more to do with tuning and the way someone runs a call.
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum