Ouestion on Redbone speck calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Ouestion on Redbone speck calls

Postby Old Hunter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm newby on speck calling. I bought a Redbone double reed and have found that I am catching on pretty good. I have also found that my call is very sensative to the slightest amount of spit in the call. I mean super sensative! A tiny bit of moisture will lock the reeds. Are the single reeds any less sensative ?
Old Hunter
hunter

Re: Ouestion on Redbone speck calls

Postby Old Hunter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:49 am

I was not giving the call enough air volume when there was some moisture moisture on the reeds. I also found that if the reeds stick spin the call around and give it good blast of air in the reverse direction and it will clear them enoud to keep calling. These calls are amazing.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby Klondike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38 pm

You may try lightly lifting the reed and letting go enough so it makes a little popping sound against the toneboard. This usually clears the moisture. If you are able to murmur or scratch,the extra vibration from the audibly voiced air will loosen that moisture. RedBones are built to super critical tolerances,thus the moisture build. If popping the reed does not work,take a thin knife or razor blade and run it under the reed until nearly to the wedge,this will slightly lift the reed. Mylar can be funky. I would not recommend the knife thing unless you are familar enough and or confident enough to do this and NOT disrupt the set-up. DO NOT PHYSICALLY lift up when and if you use the knife under the reed,let just running that blade under there with no pressure do the work.
Klondike
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Klondike Thank you- Old Hunter
Old Hunter
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum