Gander Valley XXX vs Foiles SMH

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Gander Valley XXX vs Foiles SMH

Postby Crazy Coot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:51 pm

For those of you that have used both calls, which do you prefer & why? I have a SMH and I really like it but am getting the itch to try something new.
Crazy Coot
hunter

Re: Gander Valley XXX vs Foiles SMH

Postby jrode237 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:49 pm

The SMH was my first high end short reed and while it was a nice call to start out on, it didn't take long for me to outgrow it. The XXX is a faster call (based on it's design and being shorter) with way more potential IMO. Can hunt both, but for a way I prefer a call to sound and run, for me the XXX is a much better call.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:05 pm

I think most of us had a SMH at one point, well i may have just gave away my age. But 13 yrs ago or so there were not near as many choices as there is now. I used to enjoy that call, my suggestion follow your instincts and get a XXX from GVCC. This call is fun to run, sounds great and the geese eat it up. The guys really hit it out of the park with little call, big sound from such a small short reed. I suggest calling Mark and getting alive demo...just seen on the Fb page they have a video of him running the XXX.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 pm

I have run both calls and both have had substantial time on my lanyard. In the end the XXX won for me. That little call fits very well in your hands and it screams. The geese respond very well to it. It can get real low and keep the high pitch to it. Remember, a lot of that has to do with tuning. I'd highly recommend buying a call from them. I currently have 3 of them on my lanyard.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360895181.103363.jpg
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 am

shootable Goose wrote:I have run both calls and both have had substantial time on my lanyard. In the end the XXX won for me. That little call fits very well in your hands and it screams. The geese respond very well to it. It can get real low and keep the high pitch to it. Remember, a lot of that has to do with tuning. I'd highly recommend buying a call from them. I currently have 3 of them on my lanyard.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360895181.103363.jpg

Listen to this guy and three or four above that also suggest the XXX.....you will be sorry you gave this call the nod. The XXX is just FUN to run....you can do so much with this call with little effort! I had great success with it in the field and over ice.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 pm

I'd go GV XXX a country mile before I'd choose Tin Foil Shaking My Head call... :grooving: :tongue:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Crazy Coot » Fri May 03, 2013 3:20 pm

I thought I'd bring this thread back up. Looking for some more input
Crazy Coot
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 03, 2013 3:46 pm

You been sitting on that pot a long time. I've never run a SMH but currently still own a Heartland Pipsqueak, GK Canuck, Saunders Traffic, RNT Dirty Bird and two XXXs, with duplication of the later being indicative of my preference. But you'll never know how it might suit you until you get off the throne and try it yourself.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat May 04, 2013 9:42 am

I've not tried the SMH, but I do have two Triple X's. They're fairly easy to blow ... and have a good range from low to high pitch. I will say, though, that tuning mine just a bit higher made them more attractive to the local geese. I could have just pushed air harder through them to get the higher pitches, but I found I run the calls high pitched most of them time, so that's the way I tuned them. You can do far worse than a Triple X.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Jethro48 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm

I've had a smh but really wanting to try the XXX heard so many good things about it! But have never blown one see I prefer a deeper sounding call n was curious if getting low is very hard on it or not? And do different guys sound better in the call than others?
Jethro48
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon May 13, 2013 4:41 am

One guy's "high" can be another man's "low". When I got my second XXX, Mark tuned it as he'd want it for our high pitched little Richardsons, and I was surprised by how much lower that is than the self tuning I hunt the first with. So while I suspect the XXX can be tuned plenty low enough to suit most anyone, you're the only one who can determine for sure if it's what you're looking for.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum