G Overhauler

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

G Overhauler

Postby Centralkywaterfowler » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:17 pm

What do you guys thing about this Grounds call?
Centralkywaterfowler
hunter

Re: G Overhauler

Postby mgerlach » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm

good call and imo one of grounds better goose calls. looking to get one myself before next season. very goosey sound.
mgerlach
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:10 am

Owned it for a day then sold it. I didn't see anything special to it. I might give it a try again, but out of the box the call didn't impress me. After owning all of the grounds calls that have triple crown guts they all start to sound the same after awhile. :hammer:
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:38 pm

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:Owned it for a day then sold it. I didn't see anything special to it. I might give it a try again, but out of the box the call didn't impress me. After owning all of the grounds calls that have triple crown guts they all start to sound the same after awhile. :hammer:

Yup, PHENOMENAL :lol3: ........On a serious note though, I have a pair of G Overhaulers and of all Tim's calls with TC guts, they are IMO (when tuned correctly) the most efficient on air. I believe that is a direct result of the shaved reed and barrel/insert combo that is used. I just picked up the acrylic/hedge model in a trade and I have a bit of dialing it in perfectly for me yet, but that call will be hunted hard next year (as was my full acrylic version this year). To me the G is a great calm day or over water call in that it doesn't have the most volume but it is a very free running short reed that is able to do all the trick notes (at least the ones I am capable of) and is still able to get plenty loud for most situations. I really love the mouthpiece (similar to the TC barrel) with the rounded lip versus the typical Thang style barrel lip. Here is a 2 man routine with the feller on the right blowing the G Overhauler tuned a tad higher than they come. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFO5-J7nq0
FWIW, the World Live Goose was won last year on one too, being blown by Robbie Iverson I think.
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm

jrode237 wrote:
DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:Owned it for a day then sold it. I didn't see anything special to it. I might give it a try again, but out of the box the call didn't impress me. After owning all of the grounds calls that have triple crown guts they all start to sound the same after awhile. :hammer:

Yup, PHENOMENAL :lol3: ........On a serious note though, I have a pair of G Overhaulers and of all Tim's calls with TC guts, they are IMO (when tuned correctly) the most efficient on air. I believe that is a direct result of the shaved reed and barrel/insert combo that is used. I just picked up the acrylic/hedge model in a trade and I have a bit of dialing it in perfectly for me yet, but that call will be hunted hard next year (as was my full acrylic version this year). To me the G is a great calm day or over water call in that it doesn't have the most volume but it is a very free running short reed that is able to do all the trick notes (at least the ones I am capable of) and is still able to get plenty loud for most situations. I really love the mouthpiece (similar to the TC barrel) with the rounded lip versus the typical Thang style barrel lip. Here is a 2 man routine with the feller on the right blowing the G Overhauler tuned a tad higher than they come. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFO5-J7nq0
FWIW, the World Live Goose was won last year on one too, being blown by Robbie Iverson I think.

Yea jrode237, Robbie Iverson won World Live Goose on one...here is the video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whFyOHMxU6s
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Centralkywaterfowler » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks guys. I bought one cause I talked to Tim and his guys and they said it was a good call to grow on. I'm pretty good on a duck call and not terrible on a goose call, but want to get better. What is the best instructional video out there for goose calling?
Centralkywaterfowler
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Centralkywaterfowler wrote:Thanks guys. I bought one cause I talked to Tim and his guys and they said it was a good call to grow on. I'm pretty good on a duck call and not terrible on a goose call, but want to get better. What is the best instructional video out there for goose calling?

First to answer...oh yeah...

Seriously though, I would say go with Bad Grammer by Scott Threinen :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby huntandride » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:39 am

How does the hedge insert compare to the full acryllic call?
huntandride
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:50 am

huntandride wrote:How does the hedge insert compare to the full acryllic call?

Acrylic will most likely have more crack while the Hedge will have a more mellow sound :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Centralkywaterfowler wrote: What is the best instructional video out there for goose calling?

The top 2 DVD's in my book are Bad Grammer (Scott Threinen) and Honker Talk (Shawn Stahl). See who's method you prefer and then stick with it until you can do the basics without even thinking. Some other places to gain very valuable information are Trevor Shannahan's Youtube videos from Freestyle Outdoors and Field Hudnall's Field Proven Calls Instructionals also on Youtube. Lastly, callingducks.com has "goose-talk" instructionals in which many of the nations top callers demonstrate certain sounds. Not necessarily how to do them, but at least what they should sound like.
jrode237
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Ben is correct about the full acrylic vs. hedge insert call. Not quite as sharp of a crack to it, but IMO the G doesn't really excel in that area anyway. That is more where the Triple Thang and Super Thang are at in the Grounds lineup. To me the G is a great live style call in that it can run the actual spectrum of a real goose, spot on. Sure it can get loud for hails and does trick notes with ease, but it's bread and butter is mimicking an actual goose's vocabulary and it does it as well as any call in the Grounds lineup.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Centralkywaterfowler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks guys, probably gonna go with bad grammar. Might get a compliment call to go with the overhauler. Want something a little deeper like a bigger goose as well. What about the LMC Slipknot in maple? Just wanna have the spectrum covered cause to me the overhauler is a little high which is what I want cause most people want a higher call to sound like excited geese, but I want a lower call as well.
Centralkywaterfowler
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 am

Centralkywaterfowler wrote:Thanks guys, probably gonna go with bad grammar. Might get a compliment call to go with the overhauler. Want something a little deeper like a bigger goose as well. What about the LMC Slipknot in maple? Just wanna have the spectrum covered cause to me the overhauler is a little high which is what I want cause most people want a higher call to sound like excited geese, but I want a lower call as well.

The LMC Slipknot in Maple is a very low goosey call. Hunted one for several seasons and it was a great finishing call or on those no wind days. Excellent choice for a low-end goose call. Very hollow sound.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby jwoodcock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:27 pm

i just put a hedge triple thang insert on the g overhauler barrel. Fantastic combo. Mellow, loud, soft, quick, and comfortable. I put the g overhauler reed in it.
People from the hunting industry let you down. I have no idols in this sport.
jwoodcock
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum