New to calling and goose hunting

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

New to calling and goose hunting

Postby bier hauls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi,I am new to goose hunting,I need some help on a good call to start with,and maybe som instructions ?

Thanks
bier
bier hauls
Newb

Re: New to calling and goose hunting

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Invest in Molt Gear's Bad Grammer by Scott Threinen. It's one of the best investments you can make as a caller. I would also suggest going to a show or store where you can try some different calls out. As far as buying a call, listen to what Scott says in the DVD. Don't settle for something that you don't want. There are plenty of good quality, low priced calls out there. You just have to try different things :thumbsup:

Good luck :thumbsup:

PM me if you need any help :thumbsup:

Ben Perez
mayhem96
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 am

That didn't make much sense considering you say to go buy a certain goose call and then later go buy a call you like. I would agree that call sounds really good but go with a polycarbonate version for your first call. Its easy to get discouraged. Not saying you won't learn how but a lot of guys get to a certain point and just call it quits. That way your not stuck with a $150 piece of plastic you don't know to use. I started on a Buck Gardner Honker Hammer. Wasn't the best but I learned on it. For decoys I would invest in some GHG Hot Buy shells. The best way to learn how to call is to lock yourself in your room and just go at it. Lots of good videos on Youtube. If you know someone else who calls talk to them also.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:That didn't make much sense considering you say to go buy a certain goose call and then later go buy a call you like.

Read more carefully.......he didn't suggest a call (Molt Gear EX3), he suggested an instructional (Bad Grammer by Molt Gear's Scott Threinen). That said, while Bad Grammer certainly is a great instructional if you don't blow a call using Scott's technique (tongue on the roof of your mouth and behind upper teeth-NOT TONGUE ANCHORED) it really does you no good other than hearing what a certain sound "should" sound like. For that reason, I would also suggest Shawn Stahl's instructional Honker Talk. Try both methods and see which you prefer and then stick with it until you can do the basics (cluck, moan, murmur, double cluck) without even thinking about it. As for which call, biggest thing is finding one that you're comfortable holding and using. Essentially any/every short reed goose call can be set up or made to sound extremely close to every other one by either changing the guts or messing with the tuning (something else I would also suggest learning how to do). Not only will learning to tune your own call save you the hassle of having to send it back to the makers shop should it become (or heaven forbid arrive by mail) out of tune, it will allow you to set the call up perfectly for you and the way you blow a call.
jrode237
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Winglock Original or Longneck.
http://www.winglockcalls.com/goosecalls.htm
Click on image to start soundfile..

Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:43 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:That didn't make much sense considering you say to go buy a certain goose call and then later go buy a call you like. I would agree that call sounds really good but go with a polycarbonate version for your first call.

You missed my point completely brother! While Molt Gear does make a goose call, they also make instructional DVD's. The one is called Bad Grammer. Just figured I would clear that up :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum