Zink Money maker

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Zink Money maker

Postby quackattacknoob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 pm

I currently have a money maker that I picked up off a guy for cheap. What I am wondering is it seems like a high pitched sound. Listening to videos on youtube, and they seem to have deeper sounding calls. Is it just me or is it the call? What would be a better call for the deeper goose sounds?
quackattacknoob
hunter

Re: Zink Money maker

Postby wjarrell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Could be both, you and the call. My moneymaker is a little higher pitched than some of the videos I've seen but I would still consider it to be a deep call. Have you tried to tune it?
wjarrell
hunter

Postby quackattacknoob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 pm

How does one go about tuning them?
quackattacknoob
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm

I hope someone better than me chimes in.

Before you take your call apart mark the where the reed sits on the tone board with a fin tip marker. Now I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that the more the reed is showing out of the insert the deeper the tone but the more air it takes to operate. The shorter the reed, the higher the tone and less amount of air it takes to operate. Make sure the tip of the reed and barely be pushed inside the channel with out any hang ups. You don't want the reed hanging over the tone channel. Again I could be wrong so I hope someone more experienced jumps in.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby quackattacknoob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for your input. I have also been looking at sending it back to zink and letting them put a new reed in it.
quackattacknoob
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:00 pm

That's a good idea. They will defiantly get it right for ya! :thumbsup:
wjarrell
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:42 am

Could just be the quality of the video too. But if you want to learn how to tune a goose call, this link helps quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wghL_nAFX9c
muskyduck
hunter

Postby barrykeicks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm

hand placement and breath control can have a pretty big effect on the pitch of your call too.

if the call is out of tune there is no better time than right now to learn how to tune a call, the season is months away.. you will get frustrated and do some cursing at first but once you get it right once it gets easier after that.

like wjarrell said mark the wedge/tone board/ reed as a referance and one other thing to do it take a digital pic.

if you are still stuck one of the guys in the shop can fix it up right quick but tuning a call is a skill that is pretty useful to have.
barrykeicks
hunter

Postby quackattacknoob » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks guys. I have taken it apart and really got it sounding bad now. Im going to have to play with it some more and see if I can get it right now.
quackattacknoob
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 pm

I'd be happy to tune your call for you free of charge or walk you through it on the phone I sent you a pm with my contact info! Welcome to dhc
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Have you tried to shave your reed. I had the same exact problem with my Zink call of death. But I took it apart and took a real pointy knife and scraped little pieces of the reed of make sure before you do this you figure out which way your reed bends and with the reed pointing towards you. You scrape horizontally. Some fine sand paper works great to.

GOOD LUCK
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 am

Do NOT do this until you have the call back together and tuned for your style of calling, and know what the hell you are doing.

What state are you located in? I ask becausethere may be a member in your neck of the woods that can help you out. You can always send it back to Fred for retuning.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum