Zink Power Clucker

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Zink Power Clucker

Postby upstateducks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 am

I have a zink power clucker and i just cannot figure out how to get a lower tone on it. The call is very high pitched, im not sure how to fix this or if it is even possible?
upstateducks
Newb

Re: Zink Power Clucker

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Google "how to tune a goose call." Typically you can get lower pitch out of a call by exposing more reed.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:04 am

Sanding the reed will lower the pitch a bit. Extending the reed length a bit will make the call lower. Opening your throat will calling will help lower the note pitches. But, before you start messing with the guts, take a Sharpie pen, sharpen the tip a bit and make a mark across the reed, at the point the reed meets the wedge. Let it dry and that will serve as a reference point to help tune your call. The black line on the portion of the reed next to the wedge in the pic is that to which I am referring. the black line at the tip of the reed just shows where I have bent the reed tip up a little.

Note how close the reed tip is to the end of the tone channel. The closer it is to the end ..... but still able to be pushed into the tone channel ..... the less air required to run the call. You have to be able to push the tip of the reed into the tone channel or the call won't make a note. If you are concerned about the call being too high pitched to be effective ..... listen to some real geese talking .... listen to the geese on goose hunting videos, rather than the hunters on their calls. Real geese are mostly high pitched and that is what seems to be attractive to them and get their attention. If you have a place you can compare your goose call with the calling of real geese, take it there and run the call. You might be surprised how close the call sounds to them.

I tune my calls high pitched and yet I still will often have to bump up the pitch a bit when trying to match real geese. But, if you're working geese into the decoys, you still have to be able to make some low notes. So, you may need to tune the call so you a can make both, if you can't now get the low notes out of the call.
tripleb
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:42 am

I think its supposed to be tuned like that. I would recommend a diff. call than that. It blows more like a flute if I remember correctly.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:I think its supposed to be tuned like that. I would recommend a diff. call than that. It blows more like a flute if I remember correctly.

That's a good observation. If you blow the call like the guy in the video I will attach, it will sound lower than if you blow it open handed, like most callers do now.

This video is by Matt Wettish, and shows an older style of holding the caller's "off hand". It will produce lower pitched notes with a call tuned high in pitch, than the more recent "open" handed method demonstrated by a lot of contest callers and call makers.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8 ... ideo&type=
tripleb
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Bad link.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 am

tornadochaser wrote:Bad link.

Sent from my DROID Pro

Unfortunately, for some reason copying and pasting the video link now seems to almost always bring you to a Yahoo page with the video. If it brings you to the Yahoo page, look down the page listings to find the Matt Wettish video on short reed goose call introduction. If that doesn't work, Google: Matt Wettish short reed goose call video and you should be able to find it. Here's another link to try. Left click on the blue portion of the link.

http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsear ... 693242&p2=^UX^xdm166^YY^us&n=77fc699f&ss=sub&st=hp&ptb=D81EFA9F-008A-4171-9830-D392B4B80622&tpr=hpsb&si=pd
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum