Best goose call out?????

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Best goose call out?????

Postby Jethro48 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm just looking for every ones opinion! I'm not set for sure on acrylic or wood ! But definitely a short reed! Not really looked at goose calls n past couple years! I've had grounds before n seemed like they took entirely to much air! But thanks for any and all input!!
Jethro48
hunter

Re: Best goose call out?????

Postby muskyduck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 am

I prefer wood over acrylic. Just like the sound better. I ran a Reaper for years and then tired a Slipknot in Maple and fell in love with that call. Awesome sound.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Jethro48 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 am

At one time I had a new style acrylic reaper n just wasn't getting the lower end that I wanted! I've thought about trying a wooden call but we rarely get many geese here anymore! Should probably be looking for speck cause that's what we get more of as far as geese anymore! But I love me some big honkers!!
Jethro48
hunter

Postby erp10 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 am

Check out GK calls I like them and I also run zink calls. They require little air factory tuned. I actually had to tune my GK canuck heavier than they sent it and I like an light blowing call.
erp10
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 am

I've been running a GK Canuck for the last eight years and it has proven it self time and time again.Excellent range,trick notes are easy to obtain,and the birds react very well to the call.
One other call to look at out of the GK line up is the Comp Slayer.
Good luck in your search.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 am

I'm partial to GK as well, and my favorite call is the Canuck. Bob and Glenn have outstanding customer service as well.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am

Just got the molt gear EX3 and love it. It gets really low it's fast, does not take much air to run, and it has a nice deep sound.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
0321Tony
hunter

Postby Jethro48 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm

I texted buddy earlier about bring his ex3 to work tonite n let me mess with it! N thanks for the other input too!
Jethro48
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm another whose primary geese are specks, but I've been through quite a few Canada calls. Still have a Traffic, a Canuck, a Dirty Bird and a Pip Squeak that I no longer fool with, but Gander Valley's XXX is the Canada call I use. Liked the hedge so well I also bought one in African Blackwood - as if I needed two.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jethro48 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Another buddy was talkin about that XXX only thing I don't like is it looks like a pretty small call n the smaller calls just don't feel right in my hands don't feel like it fits if u know what I mean!
Jethro48
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 am

Perhaps ironically, one of the reasons I first gave Gander Valley a go was that the insert shape was so similar to a then James Meyers, now Riceland, speck call insert I love. (The GV being just slightly larger.) Can't stand big, flared call inserts.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Gander Valley XXX.... This call is flat out pure goose. Volume, feel, realism and it is just fun to run! I am a bit of a call collector ( that is the nice way to say it) . lol. I like a lot of different calls of different reasons but this call is fast and sharp but you can still get soft and goosey with it. Have not had any call this length that I can run so smooth high to low.

I am not a small guy XXL gloves and this call fits me like a glove. It design is right on if you ask me, I say try on and see for your self.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:58 pm

I just got a grounds triple thang. Best goose call I've ever had hands down. It just fits me perfect and it doesn't take a ton of air after I retuned it to my liking. Defiantly recommend giving this call a shot
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Gander Valley Calls has 2 calls that never leave my lanyard. The PCS and the XXX have both been very good to me in the field and have really helped me become a better caller. It is a lot more fun to practice when you are running a call that is manageable and sounds great. If I had to pick only one the XXX gets the nod! :beer:
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm

All great recommendations..I like Delrin or Acrylic...and in some circumstances and locations...wood.
I've been using Winglock for 10 years and couldn't be happier...and like GVC, Winglock Calls are pure goose as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:30 pm

There's a lot of good calls out there and everyone has a different opinion but I drank the Gander Valley Kool-Aid too. :yes: My XXX is on the lanyard to stay.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Jethro48 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:16 am

Seems like majority of everybody really likes the XXX call I guess I might give it a whirl!!
Jethro48
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 am

Jethro48 wrote:Another buddy was talkin about that XXX only thing I don't like is it looks like a pretty small call n the smaller calls just don't feel right in my hands don't feel like it fits if u know what I mean!

If you're seriously thinking about a XXX, just let Mark know your concerns about the insert shape when you talk to him. More than likely he'll tell you that if you don't like it, you can send it back. :thumbsup: The hybrid is another slick GV call and the insert is a bit larger, maybe that would feel better to you.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Jethro48 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Ok thanks
Jethro48
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Here's another vote for gander valley custom calls. I have 2 XXXs, 1 PCS, and the homewrecker on my lanyard. Best calls on the market IMO
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:24 pm

What about the "Carmel swirl" sr-1 from zinks?
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 am

Big River Long Honker... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Tur-Duck-Gun » Mon May 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I've gotta say I love my Grounds Super Mag in acrylic and the G Overhauler with a hedge insert. I've not tried some of the others listed, but I've blown a lot of friends calls from various makers and I'm a fan of TG. That said, those C&S calls have me intrigued...
Tur-Duck-Gun
hunter

Postby zep02 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:22 pm

The Comp Slayer. GK calls along with their customer service has my vote! Like most of us waterfowlers, I have blown many different calls from many manufacturers. From the start, GK has taken the time to invest in my own personal improvement behind the call. Quality products backed by customer service go a long way; and for me that was the deciding factor.
zep02
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Bill Saunders traffic, has great range and easy to control also can cover anything from honkers to lessers
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum