speck calling

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

speck calling

Postby kalikiller15 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 pm

So I've gotten pretty good and calling in honkers so I figured its time to move onto specks and snows. I was in my local shop lookin at calls and the guy at the counter said he uses his speck call for both specks and snows. I was curious if others do the same thing? Do both species react to a speck call, or are speck calls able to make both sounds? I'd like to save the $ by buying only one call if possible, but if both are needed then gunna have to go that route. If it helps, I'm thinkin of getting the Sutter basin "speck storm". Thanks in advance
kalikiller15
hunter

Re: speck calling

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 am

Wish you could ask your informant and get back to us, because you've got my curiosity up.

I've hunted virtually every open season day in SW Louisiana speck and blue/snow country since '83 and have yet to see someone call snows with a speck call, other than enticing an occasional lost, lonely, sick or injured bird with traditional speck calling. In other words, birds badly wanting company, most any company. And there may still be a majority of us here that like our voice calling odds better on such anxious birds than even today's much improved blown snow/blue calls, let alone calls designed for specks. (On the other hand, put a big enough light goose spread in the right place, and a lot of them would probably pour in with a truck horn blowing.)

Anyway, while I've had speck calls I could squeeze fully functional little Canada calls from, I can't say the same for snow sounds other than murmur that's probably more like snows than specks and can't say I've given that more than a cursory unsuccessful shot with light geese. So I'll be watching this one with you.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ohlonebaseball » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 pm

You can pull it off but you wont get those deep growls as you would in a snow call. I run a Sean Mann "White Out" for snow and its really easy to operate and the best sounding snow call out in my opinion. For specks I run both a Sean Mann "whitefront" and an Anatra Maverick. Both Very good calls. I found that the sean mann has more of a high note, not really used for growls but very sharp with the yodels and the Anatra Maverick is very versatile. Its a little pricey but its worth it.
ohlonebaseball
hunter

Postby Klondike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:01 am

In my experience,if you tune a speck to run snow,the speck sound will lack some top end,and you have no where close to the true ground sounds of blues and snows. You will have flight sound,but the ground murmur and barks will be absent.

The difference between the flight barks of blues and ground sound is huge. I honestly have ran two different snow calls to reach both ends of the spectrum. However,the 2013 RedBone snow call will hit both ends of the snow language with one call.

My advice,save the money and try to buy a dedicated snow and a dedicated speck.

John A Chiasson
Klondike
hunter

Postby kalikiller15 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks I appreciate the help. Looks like it may be time to put some of my collectable calls up on the trading block!
kalikiller15
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:54 am

I believe Basin calls makes a speck call designed for specks and Ross geese. I don't see how you could call specks and snows both effectively.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Kelly Outdoors » Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Klondike wrote:In my experience,if you tune a speck to run snow,the speck sound will lack some top end,and you have no where close to the true ground sounds of blues and snows. You will have flight sound,but the ground murmur and barks will be absent.

The difference between the flight barks of blues and ground sound is huge. I honestly have ran two different snow calls to reach both ends of the spectrum. However,the 2013 RedBone snow call will hit both ends of the snow language with one call.

My advice,save the money and try to buy a dedicated snow and a dedicated speck.

John A Chiasson

What this guy says is like from the heavens, He knows of what he speaks!!! Kel
Kelly Outdoors
DHC Sponsor

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum