What's the difference between a ploy carb. Call or a wood or

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

What's the difference between a ploy carb. Call or a wood or

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 pm

So we were at cabelas and I was looking for a goose call and I was gonna buy a F-P acrylic call and it was $105 and there was a $20 call right next to it and my dad asks "what's the difference between the $20 call and the $105 Call" and I really couldn't explain why exept that the acrylic is more durable then then a poly carb. Call. So what is the difference between a acrylic call vs a poly carb?
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Re: What's the difference between a ploy carb. Call or a woo

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:47 am

Ttt
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:39 am

In goose calls especially, the advantages to acrylic are what you already mentioned in durability. Also, the acrylic call tuned identical to the poly or wood call with the same guts/setup will have the acrylic call being "sharper" sounding. Most sounds will be more crisp on acrylic, whereas wood and polycarb calls tend to be a bit more muffled or some may even say "natural" sounding. FWIW, all three materials have there place both in the field, and while I don't have any experience with the other-on the stage too. A lot of guys, myself included grab certain calls on certain days or for certain locations (e.g. some people use wood calls over water-thinking more natural "content" sounds help draw birds better). Windless days or ones where too much volume may be unnatural also leave some guys grabbing for their poly or wood calls. Acrylic is still the choice for many hunters day in and day out though since their versatility and range is pretty hard to beat. The bottom line is this, finding a call that is comfortable to hold and use and learning how to tune said call will be the biggest factor in your success. Lastly, putting in the time practicing how to use it both in the field and if you aspire to it, on the stage too will all help. Many contests (even the Worlds in Easton, Maryland) have been won on polycarb calls (maybe wood ones too???) reiterating the fact that it is indeed the "indian and not the arrow". Good luck with whatever you decide on.
jrode237
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:59 pm

jrode237 hit the nail on the head :bow: :bow:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks man! I just had trouble explaining what the difference is to a non hunter that doesn't really understand lol
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:53 am

Acrylic... Is the most expensive and the best buy IMO. It is the most expensive because the material costs more and it has several processes to get to a finished call. Bottom line they cost more to build. You need the cast acrylic, band material and the machine or machinist to turn the call. Then you need to cut and polish the bands then polish the acrylic, send out to be engraved not to mention the guts and reed.

Poly...This is a molded product that is far cheaper to and easier to build time after time. The mold does have
significant cost if a metal mold is made. There are some calls that are Molded acrylic...similar but different. Poly calls are so cheaply offered because they are cheap to pour once the mold is done. They don't need to be polished and most are not banded. They mold has the engraving in it so no need to send out to be engraved. Still need guts and reed.

Poly... brittle and breakable.
Acrylic... Durable consistent and resale value is better.

Mix my info with some of the above and your good to go. There have been contests won with poly carb calls....in most cases it is the indian not the arrow in a contest situation. There was a guy that won a contest with a PVC call.... Don's ask me his name as I do not remember.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum