fastest call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

fastest call?

Postby honkerhuntin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:26 am

for all you guys that like speed; whats the fastest, most responsive call you have ever ran?
honkerhuntin
hunter

Re: fastest call?

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 am

Dirtybird, short drop, microgoose, traffic.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 am

LCC Octane or Mayhem, FP Matrix, or one of the new Zink goose calls IMO
Last edited by mayhem96 on Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 am

RNT's now discontinued Dirty Bird and Gander Valley's XXX are the fastest I've run (and my favorite Canada calls, overall), but I've not run nearly as many as some here probably have.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 am

Another vote for the Dirty Bird and Micro goose. Though my experience with honker calls is limited compared to some.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby jrode237 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 am

Microgoose for me. As others have already stated too the Dirty Bird, Traffic, and GVCC XXX are also pretty fast.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:43 am

The fastest call I have ran is the XXX from Gander Valley Custom Calls. The micro goose was also a fast call but it did not sound as good, used to run a traffic before the XXX had come out to me the XXX smokes both of those calla not only in speed but the range you can get. Seems most calls that are really fast have no bottom end. This is one more reason the XXX stands out to me.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Marcus Riley wrote:The fastest call I have ran is the XXX from Gander Valley Custom Calls. The micro goose was also a fast call but it did not sound as good, used to run a traffic before the XXX had come out to me the XXX smokes both of those calla not only in speed but the range you can get. Seems most calls that are really fast have no bottom end. This is one more reason the XXX stands out to me.

I don't know that I would agree with that but like everything, opinions can vary greatly from one caller to another. So to the OP, trying them yourself is going to be the best bet.
jrode237
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Speed is relative to the operator,one call could be the fastest to him,but the same call ran by another operator could seem to not be what he would consider to be the fastest.
Mechanics
Air presentation
All come into play to get speed,not call design,shape or guts IMHO,your mileage may vary.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:37 pm

I have to go with the DRC Inmate. I've tried and owned a ton of calls, and this one just seems to fit like no other that I have tried. I still cant get over how close the reed is to the end of the mouth piece. By far the fastest I have tried.
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:Speed is relative to the operator,one call could be the fastest to him,but the same call ran by another operator could seem to not be what he would consider to be the fastest.
Mechanics
Air presentation
All come into play to get speed,not call design,shape or guts IMHO,your mileage may vary.

X2. No such thing as the fastest call. All operator.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:27 am

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:
ColoradoGooser wrote:Speed is relative to the operator,one call could be the fastest to him,but the same call ran by another operator could seem to not be what he would consider to be the fastest.
Mechanics
Air presentation

X2. No such thing as the fastest call. All operator.

Yup, can't say I have ever tried a call that couldn't keep up with me as far as speed goes. Now, shorter calls are a lot more fun to get fast on because they take less air to do it
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:15 am

Might well be that the shorter calls are easier for me to keep up with.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:09 pm

jrode237 wrote:
Marcus Riley wrote:The fastest call I have ran is the XXX from Gander Valley Custom Calls. The micro goose was also a fast call but it did not sound as good, used to run a traffic before the XXX had come out to me the XXX smokes both of those calla not only in speed but the range you can get. Seems most calls that are really fast have no bottom end. This is one more reason the XXX stands out to me.

I don't know that I would agree with that but like everything, opinions can vary greatly from one caller to another. So to the OP, trying them yourself is going to be the best bet.

I was not trying to get you to agree with me I am stating my opinion, just like you did. Shorter calls are faster and you do loose bottom end on a lot of calls the shorter they get. This is how I see/hear it. I enjoy calling and I buy a bunch of calls, new and used throughout the year to see what is new and maybe find a new call I will hunt with. I have found some nice calls that fit me and others that don't. I can run them all, but I can run some better. :beer:
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby honkerhuntin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 pm

totaly agree with you guys on opporator skill, i am a decent caller but i hunt with some AMAZING callers with great speed. i have a good fundemental base for goose calling and i recently just took a graveyard shift that gives me several hours a night of practice on my calls, pretty frickin cool. now on my lanyard i have a Lares honker, and i zink SR-1, i also have a Saunders reload. im looking at Zink COD and the FP matrix -heard so many great things about that call.
honkerhuntin
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 am

honkerhuntin wrote:totaly agree with you guys on opporator skill, i am a decent caller but i hunt with some AMAZING callers with great speed. i have a good fundemental base for goose calling and i recently just took a graveyard shift that gives me several hours a night of practice on my calls, pretty frickin cool. now on my lanyard i have a Lares honker, and i zink SR-1, i also have a Saunders reload. im looking at Zink COD and the FP matrix -heard so many great things about that call.

Matrix is an awesome call! :thumbsup:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 am

I'll go with the Real Thang...

But, as already stated, it is in the operator... not the call.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Another vote for GVCC XXX
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 pm

I'll vote for the naughty by nature, it's a fun little call to run
OregonSpeck85
hunter

The new Short USI from Addicted Calls

Postby Kelly Outdoors » Tue May 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Our new Ultra Short Insert combined with our shorter barrel for this years new line is a really fast responsive call, Like Trevor said its the caller but IMHO shorter makes it easier to get that next step up on your routine. So far the new call has done pretty well with the folks using them, No returns so far, Knock on wood!!

Just an FYI, The standard Addicted Call is pretty short as well, Just a tad over 4 inches long.
Kelly Outdoors
DHC Sponsor

Postby tornadochaser » Fri May 10, 2013 8:43 am

I just put a new set of xfactors in one of my cold front alberta clippers...oh boy what a fun call! Going to order another set so I can re-tune my delrin alberta clipper and not have to worry about hunting one of my shelf queens.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 pm

tornadochaser wrote:I just put a new set of xfactors in one of my cold front alberta clippers...oh boy what a fun call! Going to order another set so I can re-tune my delrin alberta clipper and not have to worry about hunting one of my shelf queens.

Sent from my DROID Pro

I have been thinking of switching to a Delrin call also...that way I don't have to beat up an acrylic call. I will most likely run a EX3D with a Mayhem.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:09 am

By far the Microgoose. Slowest would be a Winglock Longneck. Everybody talked the Longneck up to be some magical call and its a piece of crap
duckman27
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 pm

duckman27 wrote:By far the Microgoose. Slowest would be a Winglock Longneck. Everybody talked the Longneck up to be some magical call and its a piece of crap

$2 hands?

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby joemc » Wed May 29, 2013 1:52 pm

rnt microgoose, and zink nos :grooving:
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14