Begginer goose caller

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Begginer goose caller

Postby caliduckslayer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Got my g3 about a month ago been practicing every day and I think I thought I was getting the hang of it but been practicing next to reservoir with plenty of geese but they dont seem to respond at all I call ducks right up to me but not the geese lol but anyone have any tips for me to master this damn thing
caliduckslayer
hunter

Re: Begginer goose caller

Postby honkerhuntin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:13 pm

practice, listen to live birds and try to sound just like them.
honkerhuntin
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Have you noticed that the notes you make (clucks), are lower in pitch than the ones the real geese are making when they're a little excited? If so, raise the pitch and tempo of your clucks and see if that makes a difference. It does where I sometimes have practiced. With a few exceptions, the only times they failed to respond by coming closer was when they had their goslings with them .... then they stayed as far away as possible, regardless of whatever notes I made.
tripleb
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Get a bad grammar cd, it help me a lot
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby caliduckslayer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Tripleb ya the higher pitched worked a lil better but when they responded to you did they come up close or just kinda move twards you I got em to come a lil closer but hard to tell if they were responding to me or just felt like comin this way lol and to oregon speck I plan on gettin that dvd but just bought some decoys and bag and two calls so now im short on cash haha
caliduckslayer
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:16 am

If you sound like geese no worries you will call/kill geese. When hunting geese if there are already geese on the water you probably are not going to have great success at decoying them. With that being said don't worry if they don't fly straight to your calling as they are preoccupied. Typically while hunting if we have geese land outside of our shooting range more than a small group that wont swim to decs, we flush them off the water. If there are no birds on the water, you have decs out and you are calling, Canada's respond very well when flying in. The first goose call I ever purchased was a RNT wood call. I learned to cluck on the way to the lake (same day I purchased call) and I called in 3 small flocks that day. We shot every bird that decoyed.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 am

The Bad Grammer DVD will be one of the best things you can buy IMO. But, nothing takes the place of experience. Learn to read the birds and watch how they react to your calling :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 am

in a park like/non hunting situation, its not uncommon for geese who are already on the ground/water to ignore a guy blowing a call at them from a distance. dont assume your doing anything wrong. in hunting situations, its a different story.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum