Duck Hunting Forum banner

Comp Callers Question

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  tornadochaser 
#1 ·
When you guys are blowing a certain call does the call maker cut you a deal or how does it work for you?? I know Tim gives money to folks that win using his calls but not much of a discount on the front end, Just looking at getting more of our new calls into the hands of comp callers ( Addicted ) Thanks, Kel

#2 ·
Mark (the owner of Lodge Creek Calls) pays my entry fees if I get in the top 3 in a contest. I think that is the same thing Tim Grounds does. Plus, we are getting the name of our call company out there. I think most companies should give a caller some reward if they do well in contests.

The best thing to do is to get your name out there by going to a show and advertising.

#3 ·
If a comp caller is worth anything he is going to use what he feels gives him the opportunity to do his best in comps. Thats why many may change calls but use the same guts they have for years.

To get guys worth having you cant just buy them, you have to have a quality product and have them come to you. Either that or develop callers, which with you not being a contest guy, isnt really an option.

#4 ·
Trevor Shannahan said:
If a comp caller is worth anything he is going to use what he feels gives him the opportunity to do his best in comps. Thats why many may change calls but use the same guts they have for years.

To get guys worth having you cant just buy them, you have to have a quality product and have them come to you. Either that or develop callers, which with you not being a contest guy, isnt really an option.
Ok well other than those two options you mentioned what other options does a call maker have??

#5 ·
Kelly Outdoors said:
Trevor Shannahan said:

Ok well other than those two options you mentioned what other options does a call maker have??
Buy them :yes: :yes:

#6 ·
Kelly Outdoors said:
Trevor Shannahan said:

Like I said, anybody who is anybody isnt going to be bought unless you bring A LOT to the table.

You dont just burst onto the contest scene unless you are an established/sucessful comp caller that starts a company. Fact of the matter is, the big boys are going to dominate the contest scene for several reasons. They have the best running/sounding calls, they have the talent and experience to teach/develop comp callers, and if they need to they have the resources to lure high level callers to them.

RNT gives a discount to its callers, and not a very big one. Yet it has the best assembly of comp callers out there. Why? Because they have the best comp call on the market, and a plethora of World champ experience to teach and develop callers

I can tell you what Grounds does, any contest you win with a payout of less than $1000 you get your choice of call for free. Doesnt seem like much does it, yet he has the best assembly of comp callers out there. Why? Because they have top of the line products, and he is Tim Grounds and his son is Hunter Grounds, they are the RNT (Butch, Jimbo, John) of the goose call world.

John Taylor is another one, he may give a caller of his a free call every now and then if they have been loyal to him. He has a couple of great callers that call for him. Why? Because he has a quality product, and is a great teacher.

Reputation is everything in drawing comp callers, well that and having a quality product.

#7 ·
OK so breaking into the comp scene is out, Maybe just get a serious pro staff using the calls and doing shows, OR I could Hire a few great callers like T.S. or Hunter G. Kidding!! Lighten up fellers, This whole comp calling gig is new to me so if my questions sound stupid its because they are from some one who is not knowledgeable on the subject, Kel :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Agree with Trevor 100%. If you are seriously wanting to get a good pro staff together, and eventually break into the contest circuit, don't just let any jacka$$ on your staff. Don't have a field staff, have 1 pro staff of guys who actually know how to call, and may be interested in contest calling and have the talent to do so. There are people out there who are not scooped up yet. But be prepared to go to contests talk to them, and you better come with a good product. I have never touched one of your calls so I have no clue what they have to offer, but if its not a solid product, a good caller will know immediately. If you are wanting to buy a caller, better be over 10k if they are somebody, because I know a well known company got turned down by a well known caller for that amount recently.

#13 ·
You are young son, this industry is filled with nonsense, most of which you would never believe. Now the caller in question definitely stayed for the right reasons (loyalty, superior product, etc) but come at me with 10K that would be tough to turn down.

#14 ·
Compensation all comes down to what the company feels the caller is worth. I can't speak of BUYING a caller. But if a company wants a caller to use their product on stage, that company needs to help the caller out too. I have talked to several guys at big contests where it was there first time competing, they said a company gave them a free call if theyvwoukd use it in the contest...well that usually doesn't end well...

Free calls
discounts on gear
entry fees
Travel expenses

All these things are a good start getting someone to rep your company at contests. A big thing is to know who your getting, know their talents, what their weaknesses are, and how to overcome them. I agree with Trevor, reputable callers know what's good and what's not and many will pass up free gear and similar offers to use a product they feel gives them the best shot at winning.

Personally I don't go into anything looking for what the company is gonna do for me. I called for RNT for 6 years, and I enjoyed using their goose calls on stage and doing well with them, and making a name for their goose call line when RNT is mainly known for duck calls. Now im with Molt Gear, and still use RNT mvp in duck comps. I like trying to promote a company and putting their calls on the map. At the end of the day, im there for myself. I am there to collect the W for myself BEFORE the company I represent. Under the championship names its the winners name, then the call maker.

If someone threw one heck of an offer at me to use their products, but I didn't believe in them, their company, or their products ...ill take my talents elsewhere, cause at the end of the day... I wanna WIN!

#15 ·
Mike Benjamin said:
If someone threw one heck of an offer at me to use their products, but I didn't believe in them, their company, or their products ...ill take my talents elsewhere, cause at the end of the day... I wanna WIN!
I'm building flute calls out of schedule 80 pvc electrical conduit. I'll give you $10 and a used carp arrow if you blow one in a contest. I figure I better jump on the band wagon and get the new up and coming hottest flute caller out there. :bow: :lol3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.