Best Speck Call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Best Speck Call

Postby War Wagon » Thu May 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Ok Guys....Need a new Speck call......Tell me who has a good one and why... :help:
War Wagon
hunter

Re: Best Speck Call

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Basin makes 2 good speck calls the ricer and the speck crusher, both come with CDs and are easy to use
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 pm

How mad at 'em are you? (What are you willing to spend?)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri May 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Rick, We see them all the time up in Canada and we only shoot them in the early mornings. We just cant get them to decoy for nothing. We are running Speck sillows and no matter where we put them they want nothing do do with them. So now a Good call is the next thing I want to try.....Yes I'm mad at them.. mad as hell...:mad:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 10, 2013 8:07 pm

I have zero Canadian speck experience. But friends from here who hunt them in Saskatchewan say they're tame as teal on that end of the flyway. Part of that is likely that they're good callers accustomed to arm wrestling with them on our very high pressure part of the wintering grounds, but it may well also be key that they're probably not using silhouettes. As soon as I type this, someone will pop up to say I don't know pecans, but here on our end, silhouettes seem fine for starting specks but not for finishing them.

Be that as it may, the good news is that good calling couldn't help but improve your game. The bad news is that speck calls are like other calls, in that there's no one best fit for all. My own current favorites are a hedge Riceland and newest acrylic Lares (didn't think much of the previous one). The $65 poly Riceland is a fairly cheap entry level call that offers much the same tone as their more expensive models and will probably be about as easy as any out there to get a handle on. As with a good entry level anything, it may well do as much as you'll ever want of it. (Bazillions of specks have been killed with cheaper calls, but they all have "small guts" with a bit steeper operational learning curve.) Or you can pop for crisper acrylic or perhaps more resonant wood.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Klondike » Sat May 11, 2013 8:34 am

I run redbone.

However,I do agree that the poly riceland is a lot of call for the money.

If money is not a factor,the 2013 Redbone is an excellent choice. The toneboard now has been configured with pegs upon which the wedge rests. The toneboard also has a spot on the back to sit on the insert. It goes back together the same way every time. Much like tuning a J-frame duck call. The base of the reed is trimmed to the desired length,then tuning is done.

And of course,the sound and operational characteristics are improved as well. You can get some kind of realistic speck sound out of the call regardless of air control skills. So now instead of having to present air in a way that matches the way the call is built to run(not a bad thing if you have the time to practice),the operator just runs the call and finds what he or she likes and or can produce sound wise.

John A. Chiasson--- 2011,2012 Speck Calling World Champion
Klondike
hunter

Postby Klondike » Sat May 11, 2013 9:05 am

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1385954-2013-live

I realize I am off in shaping,pitch,and speed. But there is realism in the sound. That is what I am after
Klondike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Klondike wrote:The toneboard now has been configured with pegs upon which the wedge rests. The toneboard also has a spot on the back to sit on the insert. It goes back together the same way every time. Much like tuning a J-frame duck call. The base of the reed is trimmed to the desired length,then tuning is done.

I'm having a hard time picturing that toneboard configuration, but it sounds similar to the Lares in which toneboard, reed and wedge bottom out on a ledge in the insert, also affording J-frame-like set it and forget it one time tuning.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Klondike » Sat May 11, 2013 1:25 pm

The ledge is on the back of the toneboard,this is what stops it from going any further into the insert. The pegs are on the part of the toneboard that goes down into the insert,the bottom of the wedge rests upon the pegs. So wedge goes to the same place everytime,toneboard goes into the insert to the same depth everytime. Once the reed is of the desired length,that's it. And to be honest,the stock tuning is pretty universal. So it could be that a man need not even trim the reed,just run the call out the box.

No more lining up the wedge on the board,or how far the board goes into the insert,how much wedge is sticking up,ALONG with trying to keep the reed in the same place everytime.

Takes the tuning out of the equation for the most part so more time can be put into learning the sound.

JOHN
Klondike
hunter

Postby Klondike » Sat May 11, 2013 1:46 pm

This is another 2013 RedBone example file I made today

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1386287-more-accurate
Klondike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Now see that's the birds, then you, the birds, then you and so on. But was only half way paying attention the first time through and thought, "Holy crap, what a ground buzz!"
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HybridMachine » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:40 pm

My Vote is for the New Style ( Insert ) Riceland.
I've yet to try the New Lares, it will be the next call I buy, Heard great things...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Reason for the Riceland, over the rest and I've tried pretty much them all. Customer Service is Top Notch, and the call sounds like a Speck.
Learn how to run it.......
HybridMachine
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:57 pm

LCC Respeck...nuff' said :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:05 am

HybridMachine wrote:I've yet to try the New Lares, it will be the next call I buy, Heard great things...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's not as loud as the big Rs but a really slick little call that's the least back pressure critical of the couple dozen I've tried.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:19 am

mayhem96 wrote:LCC Respeck...nuff' said :thumbsup:

Did y'all ever come up with a good soundfile of it?
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Bigredman5223 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:18 am

HybridMachine wrote:My Vote is for the New Style ( Insert ) Riceland.

Reason for the Riceland, over the rest and I've tried pretty much them all. Customer Service is Top Notch, and the call sounds like a Speck.

Riceland calls are awesome. James Myers really knows how to make a call!!!! He is a great guy with a lot of willingness to help you out. When he makes my calls he calls me and runs them before he ships them out. I just wish I could make the call do what he makes it do. His calls, even the poly calls, are truly custom and made to really have a lot of goose in them. I have 3 of his calls on my lanyard when I go goose hunting. 2 of those are poly snow calls set at different pitches by him. I don't call Canada's, so when I go with my buddy's the specks and snows are all mine!!!!
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 am

Rick Hall wrote:
mayhem96 wrote:LCC Respeck...nuff' said :thumbsup:

Did y'all ever come up with a good soundfile of it?

Not yet...we will hopefully get some stuff dialed in soon...
mayhem96
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 am

Another vote for riceland here. RNT makes a decent call, but as Rick stated the smaller guts take a little getting used to. My Basin call is nice, but it's a little different sound than I'm used to.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby DucknGoodTime » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Ill throw JB Customs out there. I have no use for a speck call here but I have heard good things about their call from guys down south.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby Wingbuster58 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:17 pm

I like my Riceland poly call. Very knowledgeable guys and they were very helpful in getting me started on it. I have a toxic speck call on the way and am really excited about it. I will make a post about it once I have some time to work with it.
Wingbuster58
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 am

Redbone....best I have tried to date.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 pm

I have the Redbone and the Riceland Speck call. Both are acrylic, very effective calls, and imitate the Speck sounds very well. The Riceland is easier to blow and it has a bit more volume than the Redbone. Both, also, are about the same price ~$200.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:16 am

OldGeezer wrote:Both, also, are about the same price ~$200.

That was news to me, so I checked Riceland's site, and their acrylic goose calls are listed at $165. (Pretty sure the Rebone is $200.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Rick,
We leave on Friday. I hope we can get a shot at a few. I got the Riceland call and I hope I can talk to them this year.
I'll let you know.... :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:18 am

Just let the birds tell you what's working and what isn't, and you'll do fine. Have a ball.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum