Duck Hunting Forum banner

flutes

12K views 60 replies 17 participants last post by  Idahofowlweather 
#1 ·
Does anybody still use them. I have the foiles short reed and the flute, and I can blow the short reed but I just prefer the flute sound, anyone else agree or am I a dieing breed

#3 ·
Nothing wrong with a Flute. Last Year i brought one out me a few times. I might not of used it much, but I had it.
Nothing wrong with tryng something alittle different.
Lets here it guys-How many brought a Flute out with them lately?

#5 ·
I think a flute works fine, but its not as versatile as a short reed, but hunting is not about Competition calling. I still have a flute on my lanyard, but I consider it like my trumpet, for those birds out there as its louder.

Honk, moan and comeback are all you need to kill geese and the flute will do them all. :smile: It sounds like you prefer it and you will blow a call you like, much better than one you do not like.

#6 ·
I have used nothing but a Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman for the last 10 years. I have no problem making any sound I want on it.

Ive even had other hunters hear me calling on it and at the end of the days hunt they've walked over just to see what I was calling with.

#9 ·
Ive got Big River and Lohmans flutes in my call bag but very seldom use them. It seems the Eastern Shoreman with its higher pitch draws more attention from the groups of geese we call. Also the higher pitch seems to cut thru the wind better.

#13 ·
I been blowing the same Big Riiver Long Honker since 1989. It has called in 1000's of geese. I do not plan to give it up as long as the geese keep finishing for it. I like the deep mellow sound of the Big River. I am happy everyone else is blowing a short reed.

#14 ·
noweil said:
I been blowing the same Big Riiver Long Honker since 1989. It has called in 1000's of geese. I do not plan to give it up as long as the geese keep finishing for it. I like the deep mellow sound of the Big River. I am happy everyone else is blowing a short reed.
Theres three of us that hunt together most of the time, I use the Sean Mann Eastern Shoremann, one guy a Big River and the 3rd guy a Knight and Hale Double Cluck Plus . Between those three calls we make every sound a goose can possibly make

#16 ·
berganser said:
Double Cluck Plus! Took me about 2 weeks on that thing
Before I got it. Still have it, Just on the shelf now.
I did use it for a couple years.
Those Double Cluck Plus calls are good calls and if you can learn the hand movements to make them sound good and translate that hand movement to a flute, just about any flute will sound good. As you said tho it does take some time to learn to blow one.

When they first came out, I ordered 3 from Knudson's discount decoys and there were 2 Walnut calls and a Maple one. I couldn't find anyone that listed the Maple call so I call K and H and talked to Harold Knight, he told me in a deep southern drawl, that I was a very lucky fellow and that they were making the Maples as collector calls, he said they were only making around a thousand of them and when they made them they just put them on the conveyer belt and didn't know what distributor they went to. I thanked him for the info and called Knudsons and ask them if they had any more Maple calls in stock, they had 4 more so I bought them all. They came with bird bands and were serialized

#20 ·
berganser said:
Cluckmeister,
I never seen any Wooden DCP's.
I really never looked for any or new they made them.
Good score on your part!
There is a Walnut one on Ebay for 15.95 ,you might add it to your collection.

The wood ones sound a lot better than the plastic. At least the plastic one Ive got.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
berganser said:
Spectacular Collection of Flutes!
I might have 6 or 7.
Very Nice man!!
It never started as a collection. I have tuned lots of flutes thru the years and helped lots of people to learn how to blow a flute. These just happen to be what was on hand at the time I took the photo. At times there may only be 5-6 around other times there are more.

Below is a Joe Jaroski flute call.
2014-03-08_11.03.13.jpg

Attachments

#23 ·
noweil said:
berganser said:
Spectacular Collection of Flutes!
I might have 6 or 7.
Very Nice man!!
It never started as a collection. I have tuned lots of flutes thru the years and helped lots of people to learn how to blow a flute. These just happen to be what was on hand at the time I took the photo. At times there may only be 5-6 around other times there are more.

Below is a Joe Jaroski flute call.
That's an outstanding look call, what is the pitch like on it?

Just did a search on Mr Jaroski and found out he passed in 2011, Id hang on to that call

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Joe's call doesn't sound bad at all. I bought it because of the burl in the walnut. I had a booth by Joe at John A Logan College one of the first years they had the sports show there. He told me he turned it from walnut root that he had dug up. It is so pretty it hasn't been to the field since the early 90's.

Here is another S. IL call from a call maker who is no longer with us. A Ken Martin goose call. Not a flute but a real old school call.
2014-03-08_11.05.55.jpg

Attachments

#25 ·
noweil said:
Joe's call doesn't sound bad at all. I bought it because of the burl in the walnut. I had a booth by Joe at John A Logan College one of the first years they had the sports show there. He told me he turned it from walnut root that he had dug up. It is so pretty it hasn't been to the field since the early 90's.

Here is another S. IL call from a call maker who is no longer with us. A Ken Martin goose call. Not a flute but a real old school call.
Looks like you have a nice collection of calls from some old timers. I do have a Ken Martin Duck Call and Ive never used it. I bought it about 5 years ago at an antique store for 8 dollars and it looks brand new.

#26 ·
I seen Joe's Call years back. Always thought about
Getting one, buy never pulled the trigger.
I have an Olt that was modified, but not very good.
I should of left it the way it was. Oh well. My Dad still
Has his. So, at least I'll have that one, and, I gave an Olt to my
Brother. The Old Olt, is what I started on.
I'll get the # for it later.

I'll have to look at the Wood DCP, hopefully in the morning
I'll get at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.