Buck gardner canada hammer to a Honker Hammer?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Buck gardner canada hammer to a Honker Hammer?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm thinking about upgrading to a new goose call, a Buck Gardner Workin' man Honker hammer from a Canada Hammer 2. Is it worth it to upgrade or are they pretty much the same call but one has a higher price tag :huh: ? Does the Acrylic barrel really change anything?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Re: Buck gardner canada hammer to a Honker Hammer?

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:16 pm

I doubt that the difference will be recognizable to you. It might have a more crisp sound but if it is only the barrel that is made out of acrylic, you will most likely not notice a huge difference.

IMHO, if you really want to upgrade, there are better choices on the market. I personally like a LCC Mayhem because of its versatility in the field and/or stage.

FWIW (that's for you jrode237 :yes: ), your best bet is to go to a store or show and run some different calls. Get a feel for them all and pick one you like. Then, you can really start to compare them side by side :thumbsup:

I hope this helps!
mayhem96
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:31 pm

if your wanting to get a Buck Gardner, id get the Grey Ghost instead but like mayhem said there are a lot better options, if price is a issue I would get a poly or guide series traffic from bill saunders, if not get the acrylic.
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Ok I found it for super sale for $18 and I already have a Canada Hammer so I thought I might buy it but do you think for $18 I should get it?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:34 am

Honk-n-quack wrote:Ok I found it for super sale for $18 and I already have a Canada Hammer so I thought I might buy it but do you think for $18 I should get it?

I think $18 bucks is a decent price for it. I think i paid about $30 a couple years back for that call. I also don't think you will notice much of a differnce in the two calls. I thought my honker hammer was stiff. If it were me, and I already had a call I would save up and get into a better series of calls. In my opinion goose calls more so than duck calls, you get what you pay for. You will notice a huge difference in a call in the $30 range compared to a $90 and up. I wasn't a believer until I went to a Cabelas and tried some of the higher end calls. Now there is no turing back.
jeepman
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:08 pm

jeepman wrote:
Honk-n-quack wrote:Ok I found it for super sale for $18 and I already have a Canada Hammer so I thought I might buy it but do you think for $18 I should get it?

You will notice a huge difference in a call in the $30 range compared to a $90 and up. I wasn't a believer until I went to a Cabelas and tried some of the higher end calls. Now there is no turing back.

I wouldn't agree with this statement but to each his own. Most guys can run a call to the max but can do the basic stuff on it. I would say the guts that are run in the call will be noticed before the sound quality :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum