Aggressive Goose Calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Aggressive Goose Calls

Postby SLV Ducks-n-geese » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

I have been doing some practicing and it seems my current calls break over too easily. I prefer being aggressive to being laid back.

What are the better calls for an aggressive caller with higher air pressures and tongue movements?
2013-2014 Tally
Canada (Lesser) - 1
SLV Ducks-n-geese
hunter

Re: Aggressive Goose Calls

Postby Jake88 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 am

Foiles Crime Scene. It's perfect for the way you describe you want to call. I have a Zink MM and the Foiles. MM breaks over a little easy. Foiles fits my style better (I put alot of air through a call)
Jake88
hunter

Postby SLV Ducks-n-geese » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Awesome...I just got an Zink SR-1 today and do not like it at all. Don't know if it is factory tuned or not but it is just not the call for me. I get a much better sound out of my PC-1 than the SR-1. The SR-1 is almost impossible, even with voice inflection, to get a really low nasly buzz out of. I know that many will likley roll their eyes and say "operator error" but I can get a really decent (not great) low nasly tone out of my PC-1. I put the same gesture onto the SR-1 with poor results. Even when I change things up...I just cannot get the sound I am looking for.

Anyone else? Anything made out of wood for the aggressive caller?

:thumbsup:
2013-2014 Tally
Canada (Lesser) - 1
SLV Ducks-n-geese
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:27 pm

I just got a Big Sean Mr.BIG and its what your looking for
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Get ahold of mark at Gander Valley and ask him to tune your call stiff. You can choose anyone from his line up and get it tuned to your specifications. Great calls with killer sound and the best customer service! I would suggest a HYBRID for what you describe.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 pm

While most guys while talk about new goose calls, it seems like you properly need to run a goose call. If they call is breaking over to easier, try putting a full, unshaved reed in it. Move the wedge back a little and it will make it a little heavier. However, if you are looking for an aggressive call, check out the LCC Octane :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Don't waste money searching for new calls hoping that on the off chance it's already tuned to how you like to run a call. Learn how to tune a call to reflect you style, then the actual call used becomes less important.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:32 am

tornadochaser wrote:Don't waste money searching for new calls hoping that on the off chance it's already tuned to how you like to run a call. Learn how to tune a call to reflect you style, then the actual call used becomes less important.

Might find that "buzz" he's looking for by loosening the guts' set in the insert.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby SLV Ducks-n-geese » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:44 pm

I'll do a search for threads on call tuning...thanks! :)

I sent the SR-1 back in to Zink today for a factory retune and broke in guts. Once I get it back I will see how it sounds then take it from there (regarding self tuning).

I know it is a budget call but I love the PC-1. Getting it down pretty well.
2013-2014 Tally
Canada (Lesser) - 1
SLV Ducks-n-geese
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Hunter Grounds has a great tutorial on tuning calls I think you should learn how to tune a goose call before you even get into a high end call. The whole go to the store and try it out does not work with short reed goose calls I have owned 50 or more high end goose calls and out of all those maybe 2 calls worked for me out of the box. Goose calls involve so many variables everyone has different voice and different lung capacity and inflection in their voice. My Triple Crown a $200 call sounded like a bike horn till I gave an 8 minute tune to my calling style an now I can make it sound like a dozen honkers in a fresh cut corn field. Learn to tune or find a veteran hunter to help once you master a call try some others till you find one you love that's part of the fun when your learning. As for me I have tried them all and the triple crown and bay country have a permanent spot on the lanyard but again what works for me may not work for you. Good luck and good hunting at the end of the day many more birds are killed from good scouting rather than good calling.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:49 am

Nice post. Learning to tune your own calls should be mandatory for anyone who's serious about them. Shawn Stahl/RNT has a pretty comprehensive goose call tuning tutorial on youtube.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:56 am

Yes, Shawn goes into a lot of detail and answers a lot of questions people have about tuning goose calls.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jellotree » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 am

Rick Hall wrote:Might find that "buzz" he's looking for by loosening the guts' set in the insert.

True, or lightly shaving the reed behind the intended tunning line so the wedge is sitting on top of shaved reed. Hope that makes sense.

Trouble is, you drop/bump your call, guts move and its outta tune. I use a few drops of crazy glue.... Takes a bit to get them out again when you need to though.. lol :tongue:
jellotree
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucKmevTtvM

This is a pretty good video stahl did on tuning a short reed, like everyone has said, just try an unshaved reed and make it a little longer
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 am

Slv how did the retune and bigs effect the sound?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Doesn't get much more aggressive than a good ol grounds half breed. Don't sound that great to the human ear, but it'll turn a goose inside out. Loud fast and goosey.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:27 pm

I'd agree that goose calls are mostly about how they are tuned. When tuned well, the MOLT GEAR EX3 and DRC SHORT DROP are both super aggressive calls.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Gk Canuck and a grounds real thing are two calls I really like. I've ran a field proven matrix that was pretty good as well. But in all honesty at this point I can really set up any call to be able to lean on it. An old grounds half breed is a very very aggressive call as well. Takes quite a bit I getting used to and has a learning curve on tuning as well.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Real Thang, Real Thang, Real Thang...

Oh... and the Molt Gear EX3 X is also a bad *** goose smasher...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 am

Aggressive goose call ehhh.... Look into a XXX from Gander Valley Custom Calls, you will not regret it! Fast, smooth and easy to run but most importantly geese react to this little call. It is about 4 inches long and has the speed one would assume you get with a shorter call but it has HUGE goose on the low end stuff, not had another call this length offer the range the XXX does.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum