New to goose calling

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

New to goose calling

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:04 am

I have always gone goose hunting with others and think its time I invest in a call on my own and learn how to run it. I know I will get a lot of different opinions and suggestions, but I am looking for a good call to invest in to learn on, price really isn't a concern. I have always been a RNT fanboy for duck calls how do their goose calls run? Or should I look into another company? I hear zink makes good short reed goose calls. I am looking for a great all around call to keep on my lanyard come duck season. I will probably mostly be hunting fields and marsh for geese.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Re: New to goose calling

Postby Normmcclean » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:59 pm

I am a firm believer in going to duck call maker for ducks rnt or echo. And go to a goose company for my goose call grounds go or field proven.

On the low end starting out I would look at field proven poly raptor, grounds poly super mag, or a walnut wing lock long neck. All $50 or less and great calls to start out on and are good hunting calls.

If you want to jump into the deep end right off the bat I would get a grounds super mag, field proven raptor or matrix, gk canuk all of these in acrylic and in the $100-$150 price range. Buy bad grammar DVD or CD and learn how to tune calls to fit you better. There are a ton of options out there and if you get hooked you will wind up with a bunch of calls but the ones I listed are great starting off calls that are easier to run and flat out kill a lot of geese.
Last edited by Normmcclean on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Just like anything else It all comes down to personal preference. I prefer tim grounds goose calls over any other company out there. His customer service is GREAT. Tons of people on this forum will agree that he makes top notch calls that will flat out perform.. Grab one check it out see what you think. First goose call I ever owned was a pro super mag from Tim Grounds excellent call to begin on. Good luck and practice practice practice.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:57 am

Look into a Gander Valley Hybrid or PCS, two great calls that are very easy to run and they can do it all. The nice thing is the service you get with your calls. Mark is a stand up guy that really has went beyond to help me and my sons with our calling. To be honest he has helped so many friends I can't even list then all, lol. They fit your hand nice and they don't take much air, great call to look into.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:53 pm

I would like at Big Sean's championship calls. They run awesome and sound great. I personally love the Mr. Big it's fast, loud and very nice to blow, and it still sounds like a goose!
dams10ww
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

I would look into the Gander Valley Custom Calls line up for sure. Easiest running calls I have owned and they are Pure goose. Price is key with them, very affordable and you get a solid set up.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Probably the most goose sounding call and easiest to blow I've ever had on my lanyard was also the cheapest. The goozilla call by quack head. It's only $19!!!!! Just look at the reviews on cabelas or bass pro. A goose call is like a real instrument and requires a lot of practice. The more expensive ones are harder to run and would just frustrate a beginner. It's not on my lanyard now as the guts fell out one day because I tried to replace the o rings(wrong size) so I use my Lynch mob reaper but I will definitely buy another!!!
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:30 am

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:PThe more expensive ones are harder to run and would just frustrate a beginner.

I'll agree that the Goosezilla is a good call for the money, but believe most folks will find some more expensive calls harder to run and some easier. Often it's just a matter of tuning, which every halfway serious caller should learn to do for himself.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:45 pm

I would spend the money and get you a good high end call! Spend the money once and if you end up not liking the call you can always trade it or sell it out right instead of spending $50 on a call and get good and decide you want a higher end call and then you are out that $50 bc nobody wants a cheap call. Thats just my .02!!!! I really like my Bill Saunders Traffic its easy to blow and has proven itself time and time again!!!!
blackwagon
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:36 am

Ended up spending the money and got a TG acrylic super mag. It's tough getting used to breaking notes over but I'm getting the hang of it pretty quick, also find it takes A LOT more air to run a goose call than duck call. I need to really get better with my Han positioning too. I'm gonna order the bad grammar DVD.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Bad Grammar will help you a lot. Great instructional on running short reeds.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum