Speck Calls?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Speck Calls?

Postby Captain16 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:29 pm

I just wondered if anyone ever uses any speck calls? I have only seen a few calls for them, and like the way the birds sound, but wondered if anyone ever uses them? I do see a few here and there in KS, but not sure if the birds will just come in with a regular goose call or if it helps to have a speck call?
Captain16
hunter

yes they work...

Postby DKDKGUS » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:42 am

Here in California they are actually abundant and work well for callers early in the season, but after getting shot at they tend to get picky. As with most birds, ya might want to ease up on the calling if you don't have that large of a spread. call to get their attention, but once they are looking n turning, get ready. Believe it or not, I still think the best call for specks I have is the Big River. Inexpensive and easy to adjust. Works well as a woodie call also.
DKDKGUS
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:05 am

cap i use my reg call if you have a spread of canada geese out then that is what you are. specks will come into all canada geese speads without thinking.

i think they easier to get in than canadas too i think i got in every group but one last season and it was comming so i backed off call becasue they set there wings so far out and after about of min or so of no calling one of my friends who didn;t see them hopped up to pee. couldn;t get them to even think about it again

i do know of people who use there snow call when they see them though but i have a fairly cheap snow call and my canada sounds so much better i have never switched buy i could see how it might work
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:22 pm

In Louisiana Speck calls are pretty much the only calls any one keeps on their lanyards for geese. We get about 2 weeks to shoot canadas in january. Canadas will come into speck spreads sometimes.. May i recommend the CHEIN CAILLE speck call made in Gueydan, LA. Can be found in Mack's Prairie wings catalogue.
http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?im=CHN200&d=Chien_Caille_Goose_Call___Specklebelly
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:05 pm

No doubt, Chein Caille speck call is the best ole boy.
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckjumper » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:04 pm

Basin Abomination Speck II.....there is no substitute. Spendy but deadly. It's made by some dudes on the California/Oregon border, where we get lotsa specklebellies. We're allowed 4 a day here in Cali, and a lotta guys out here swear by them, including me. BTW, they have a web site. Google it.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby travisj » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:20 pm

im only 16 and i use to use a Haydels Speck call but the Chien Caille is the best by far. The old man who makes them is from Gueydan,LA
Ive been blowing diff speck calls for about 5 years and the chien caille is the best is way easier
travisj
hunter

Postby critter stuffer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:05 am

just received my basin abomination speck ll a few days ago. It took a little while to figure out how it worked but once i did figure it out-WOW. It was so much better that the others that I put them into permanent retirement. Cant imagine how it can better than this. Guess Ill have to try them all to find out. But I doubt that I will look any further.
critter stuffer
hunter

Postby randy marci » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:58 pm

my favorite is my taylor talker speck. most people don't even know troy has a speck call, but he does and it is flat out awesome :thumbsup:
randy marci
State Moderator

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum