Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II

Postby tjkellyc4 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:01 am

I am deciding on whether or not to purchase this call. It sounds fine, except i am just a beginner in goose calling and i am affraid of the short read feature. is it easy to work this call??
tjkellyc4
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:09 am

:welcome: :welcome:
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get information from people who know a lot and love to waterfowl hunt.

What is your back ground with calling?

The Canada Hammer II is a great call and is the call I learned on a few years ago.

Get yourself a CD or DVD to learn fron. You will have to practice some with it if you are new to calling, but you will be able to get most goose sounds out of it with a little work.

Go to a store that has one and see if you can try it out. You should know pretty quickly how you like it. At the same time, it only costs ~$15 so if you buy it and don't like it you won't be out a ton of $$.

Good luck!

:thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Also my first short reed call, but i didn't like it too much. Always seem to freeze up on me. Then again im one of those lazy bastards that dont take time to heat up my calls before i blow, thats why i went acrylic.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 am

Don't be afraid of the short reed, that are not that tough. Takes practice obviously, but anyone can get it down enough to kill geese with. Try a few different ones out or talk to someone at your local sporting goods store.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:06 pm

I'm fairly new myself, have the flute down pretty good but decided to go with the SR this year. I bought an HS Slammer and didn't like it. I bought the pitboss,came with a dvd but I couldn't work it that well. Took it out once, came home and no guts left so I bought the Canada Hammer II today, blew it for 2 minutes and was amazed how easy it blew. Sounds pretty good, it's a high pitch call, loud. I think it's worth the 15 bucks. Sidenote-Sportsman's warehouse has a two pack Hammer II and a Tall Timber II single reed duck call for $15. Of course I bought the Hammer II and the duck call separatley because I wanted the blue one. :mrgreen:
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Youthhunter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:27 pm

I found that the Quackhead Goozilla takes a lot LESS air than the Canada hammer, for almost the same price, might want to go try both of them.
Youthhunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:56 pm

I had the gooszilla nd hammer and like the gooszilla much better. However I had the low $ hammer. I think the performance series is a little more, but hand tuned and probably worth the extra $10. With the real cheap hammer I think you take a risk of getting one not tuned very good so unless you can tune it you may want to try the better call. You can find the acrylics on e-bay for not a lot and I would probably go with one of those if I was going to try the hammer again. I have a spit tech pocket rocket titan and a tall timber II and love those so I like the BG calls.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:20 pm

I also started with the Canada Hammer II as my first short reed. when i first got it, it would stick and took an unbelievable amount of backpressure to get it to break the reed, but after i shaved it, i watched the pit boss video to learn honks, moans and clucks and now i can call pretty good. i first called on a big river flute, so the change was kinda difficult, i also used a primos honky tonk for a few minutes on a hunt when things were slow, and felt it might be easier to learn on than the hammer, i'll get one and let you know what i think.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby mike. » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:45 pm

great call, i just got one free with a flag i bought. I will be using it next season for sure along with my 125$ gk canuck.
mike.
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:14 pm

While I'm not a big fan of that particular call, the short reed is the way to go. It may take a bit to get it all down, but shouldn't take all that long to master the basics.

Buy a short reed and Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk and you will be calling in no time.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:17 am

Absolute garbage call. Invest in a Winglock and you WON'T be disappointed.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:17 am

anyone else think the canada hammer has a "plastic" sound? i mean that it isn't very goosey, and isn't a natural sound. i found that out after i bought another short reed and compared them.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby goosecalln13 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:52 pm

buy it it was my first call easy blowing and i love it it is great in the field and my 2nd favorite call besides my zink mm i am olny 13 but i blow like a pro on my canada hammer 2
at 14 calling um in and taking bands 1 by 1
goosecalln13
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum