Winglock Whisperer or Longneck?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Winglock Whisperer or Longneck?

Postby mkeller » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Wanting a mellow wood call and I have narrowed my choices down to a whisperer or longneck. Lots of opinions on the net about the two calls but haven't seen a thread comparing the two head to head. Any feedback would be appreciated! 1, 2, 3 go!

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
mkeller
hunter

Re: Winglock Whisperer or Longneck?

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 am

Whisperer HANDS DOWN.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:14 am

I own a couple of each of the walnut original, long neck and the whisperer. The whisper is a MUCH more choked down call than any of Rick's other calls with a bore about the size of a fat pencil, making it much...MUCH quieter than any of the other calls no matter what you do with it. ALL of the walnut series calls are going to have a nice, mellow tone to them as well. The whisperer, being as choked down and quiet as it is is really only applicable to calm days where you don't need to cut through the wind, on tight pocket fields with timber close by or over water where you DO NOT want a louder call that can echo. Also, DO NOT expect to get any kind of speed out of the whisperer either...simply can't do it well. Its made for clucks and moans and some low stuff but that's about it. The longneck isn't a "fast" call either with its long barrel and insert and is a nice, deep toned call but can be tuned a bit higher or lower much more easily than the whisperer. I've killed hundreds of geese running my longneck...it was my first short reed call I actually put on a lanyard after running flutes and resonance calls for years. Have only used my whisperer a few times... I also run an original that you can instantly tell has a different tone and an almost musical quality to it over my acrylic calls even tuned fairly high the way I have it.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:39 am

I have owned all three wing lock walnuts and the long neck won out. Whisperer was too quiet and has very little range. The long neck can be very quiet but also goes up to a nice mellow medium volume. The long neck really works wonders on late season geese that have been blasted by over run acrylic goose calls. I run a bay country shore thing and a wing lock long neck at all times on my lanyard gives me top to bottom full goose range. Both wing locks are great you just have a much more useful range in the longneck
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby mkeller » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:50 am

Awesome feedback guys, thanks for sharing!

Keep'em coming!

Matt

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
mkeller
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:07 pm

My burnt hedge whisperer has excellent range... Musta' got lucky...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 pm

The Whisperer was designed for small ponds, back waters, small fields and just plain finishing off geese...with little echo. The Longneck is a louder call and can but used in the same hunting situations...and IMHO...and maybe it's the few that I have tried..but it's not near as loud as the Original. I have an Original in Acrylic, Maple, Walnut & Delrin. My Whisperer is in Hedge as is the Longneck. To me, the Longneck is a more versatile call.. I hunt a small 7 acre pond, surrounded by hills and tress...and I rely on my Longneck alot...and I then finish the birds..the last 50-80 yards with the Whisperer or the Longneck.

Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum