New to short reed calls

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

New to short reed calls

Postby Wickedrex » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and had a few questions concerning using a short reed goose call. I've been waterfowling almost all of my life and have always used my Hoyt standard goose call until I recently realized what I've been missing with the short reed call. I've now picked up a call and have decided to learn to use one. This is where my frustration begins.

I ended up picking up two Buck Gardner Honker Hammer calls; one in acrylic and one in Diamond wood. I wasn't sure if there was a difference so I got both and just wanted to see which one I liked more. Both sound the same with the exception the the wooden one is a tad but more raspy. Anyhow, after watching tons of online videos and days of practice turns out I am TERRIBLE at using this type of call! I can't get any type of low end tone to produce that "growl" or "low moan" to save my life. Both of these calls have a very high pitch and I can't get a low tone like the one you have before a cluck. I also have a hard time get a crisp anything out of them. And my honk and cluck would probably scare birds off a mile away. I'm sure it is me but no matter how I blow into them, no matter what sound I produce into them, I can never really get the low growl or moan. Always just a higher pitch! I don't believe I can ever get these calls to sound like all of the calls I've heard in the videos.

Has anyone used these calls before? Is it just the sound these calls produce because I just can't see this call sounding any where near as realistic as the calls on the videos? I love my Buck Gardner duck calls but these goose calls are frustrating the living hell out of me! Should I buy another call and try that? I don't know anyone who uses a short reed call so unfortunately I have no mentor. Seasons getting close... Help! Thanks in advance...

--Jay--
Wickedrex
Newb

Re: New to short reed calls

Postby Jake88 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Look up a short reed goose call tuning video on youtube. A goose call has to be tuned to your own air presentation for best results
Jake88
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 am

:welcome: to the forum, I would recommend getting the bad grammar cd by molt gear lots of great info and will help you a lot. If that doesn't work go with wagt jake88 said and search YouTube
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:07 am

Gardner makes an OK duck call but the goose calls have very little range. I think winglock longneck Is the best beginner call if you decide to buy another. You might get what you want out of a Gardner. Remember that a short reed goose call is nothing like blowing a duck call you use the inflection of your voice into the call not just air.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Pick up a copy of Molt Gears Bad Grammer. That's how I learned. It's very very well done. Very in depth. Not just some CD talking about the honk, cluck and moan. It starts there then goes way beyond that. Two DVDs worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 pm

I really like my BG Grey Ghost. It's an excellent call, very fast.

Takeem406
hunter

Postby GooseMan74 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:00 am

I am fairly new to the short reed as well. I bought it last year and have struggled hitting the low notes. Thankfully my commute to work is over an hour so I've been practicing quite a bit. On my greeting call I've found that if I make a "gooooo whik" sound I can hit the low notes better. The "o" is a soft o sound, not like the word "go". The CD says to make a "whoooo" sound but I can't get it to work. This also works when I'm making a feeding call. Your vocal cords basically need to vibrate which I struggled with and still do. On the plus side I saw three flocks of 20+ in the last two days. Bad side is that I have to work. Good luck.
GooseMan74
hunter

Postby Cyrus1983 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Short reed calls are frustrating and embarrassing when you first start using them. I have buddies who won't even bring a call when we go hunting because they are nervous blowing them around guys who are legit with a short reed. But there is no better place to practice than in a blind when the birds aren't flying and you have competent callers around to give you tips. And a crappy call can kind of make it worse. If you plan on actually learning, you might as well get a decent call right off the bat so you have the peace of mind that its YOUwho needs the work, not your poorly tuned walmart call. Check out a super mag or some of the foiles calls are fairly easy to blow also. :hammer:
If the good lord were a deer hunter, he'd shoot a 270
Cyrus1983
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

Tim ground pro super mag is a good beginner call. It's defiantly worth checking one out. Still one of my favorite calls to this day.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby MtDewd2007 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Takeem406 wrote:Pick up a copy of Molt Gears Bad Grammer. That's how I learned. It's very very well done. Very in depth. Not just some CD talking about the honk, cluck and moan. It starts there then goes way beyond that. Two DVDs worth.

I agree these dvd's helped me out A LOT!!!! I started out on the Primos Honky Tonk and a Zink Power Clucker. They are lower end calls but sound great. I still use them in the field sometimes. The Honky Tonk comes with an Instructional DVD as well.
MtDewd2007
hunter

Postby zachk908 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 am

Short reed calls are frustrating at first but practice practice practice a lot of it is controlling the air flow at certain times once u get that the sky is the limit
zachk908
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum