Quiet call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Quiet call

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 pm

What is a call out there that a guy can make pretty quiet? I hunt a very narrow river and you have to be selective with calling because of the echo. So looking to see what people refer to as quiet goose calls. Thanks.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Re: Quiet call

Postby Jake88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:37 pm

From my experience, you don't need to get real quiet with Canada's. And the "echo" you speak of, would be the same from a live goose as it is from your call. Just something to consider
Jake88
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Any wood call that is tuned very deep...possibly an Eastern Shoreman flute or LCC Assassinator in Hedge :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:34 pm

For starters, about the only time you NEED a loud call is when you're running traffic or need to cut through high wind noise. A good, quieter call by design would be the Winglock Whisperer (especially in walnut) or the TG G Overhauler or the Sean Mann Sweet Talker. I have all three. I like the whisperer and the the Sweet Talker, but I LOVE the Overhauler. Amazing range, gets really quiet but loud enough to reach out to distant birds with relative ease. The Whisper is a very QUIET call due to the barrel diameter is only about the size of a fat pencil causing much more back pressure than even the other 2 calls I mentioned, both of those being able to be run one handed as well. the Overhauler goes for about $150 now and the other 2 sell for around $50. Truth is, about any call can be tuned and more importantly run quiet if you choke it down enough.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 pm

HAHA I don't recall hearing real geese making any echo.. Well I did ok last year with a plastic Grounds Super Mag. Also have at my disposal now a Grounds Honker Magic Magnet that seems to get the volume I'm looking for. I just got a Toxic XTX and I don't think I will be able to make it very quiet. Sounds good, but a little to loud. Thanks for the couple more to consider.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 pm

gearhead80 wrote:HAHA I don't recall hearing real geese making any echo.. Well I did ok last year with a plastic Grounds Super Mag. Also have at my disposal now a Grounds Honker Magic Magnet that seems to get the volume I'm looking for. I just got a Toxic XTX and I don't think I will be able to make it very quiet. Sounds good, but a little to loud. Thanks for the couple more to consider.

Sorry that you found that funny. If you haven't heard real geese echo in said narrow river then you haven't hunted it much. Sound echoes, whether it be from a goose beak, a shotgun, or your cheap ass resin Toxic call
Jake88
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 pm

And have any of you flared geese because of calling too loud? Honestly? Maybe I just kill the stupid ones
Jake88
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Jake88 wrote:And have any of you flared geese because of calling too loud? Honestly? Maybe I just kill the stupid ones

You have no Idea the scenario I am describing and you hunt however you want. Most guys I've talked to in the area say they don't even call for that reason. I didn't ask for what you do or how you hunt, so you just go ahead and keep screaming at them if that's what works for you.. :thumbsup:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 am

Jake88 wrote:And have any of you flared geese because of calling too loud? Honestly? Maybe I just kill the stupid ones

Um...yes. It is very easy to blow out geese by calling too loud. Just as easy as calling over aggressively like you're Joe contest caller. You obviously haven't hunted them too much if you've never done it. :no: and why rip a dude's call? That's petty. Give me a "cheap ass resin call" as you called it and I'll still kill geese. The call means NOTHING and is really the LEAST important item needed to kill geese. If you've been hunting long enough you'd know that though huh? Ease up on the web roids a bit maybe?
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Gander Valley Custom Calls has a call out, the PCS. I can drive this call to a soft realistic murmur and cluck that makes you look twice. I has killer range and the way it transitions from one range to the other is impressive. I can not say enough good things about the PCS call has really moved it way up my lanyard because when in a layout where we hunt you have to be soft and subtle or you get echo from the treeline. To be honest every call I have got from GVCC has a nice range and can be driven from a whisper to a ear bleeding crack!
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby moreychuck » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:45 am

rick perry makes a acrylic n a walnut goose whisper winglock i have several including a new in the pack one i will sell wheather u are interested in mine or not check his calls out they are very nice
Glimmerjim wrote:
I always wondered why I seem to like myself so much when I am watching pink snakes crawl through my walls.
moreychuck
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:20 am

New call on the market. Big Al's "Upper Cut" is a medium tone call. Breaks clean and has a good lower end! I think it would be a great choice for smaller fileds and over water!! Give er a try :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum