I'm a retard - can't blow a Sean Mann express shorty

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

I'm a retard - can't blow a Sean Mann express shorty

Postby dirtyj » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:03 pm

Can anyone give me some pointers? I have blown a flute and want to try this call, but I can't figure it out. It sounds like a party favor when I blow it and no matter what different sounds I make, no matter how hard or soft I blow, it sounds like sh!t.
dirtyj
hunter

Postby headless » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:13 pm

REMEMBER NO CALLING IS BETTER THAN BAD CALLING .I know the feeling had one of those gave it to the kids to play with outside to agivate the better half
headless
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:43 pm

dude that call is a B**** to call. i thought it was going to be easy as well since sean mann says it takes little back pressure. yeah rite, that call takes a monster to blow. The sweet talker is a little easier but just the same. the only thing i could do to that call was honk and cluck. you have to blow the call slow and control ur air pressure.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby critter stuffer » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:59 am

Im not familiar with that particular call but recently bought a BGB Fat Boy canada call and had the same problem. Turned out that they dont tune them when they send them out. After I opened it up and spent a little time moving the reed assembly in and out a little I found my "happy spot" and now it is my 'go to" call. I dont know if that is the problem but its worth trying before giving up. I didnt have to take the reed assembly apart, by the way, just move it in and out .
critter stuffer
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:58 pm

I thought it is one of the easiest blowing calls to use....

My suggestion since you are moving over from a flute is to find someone who lives close to you and have him give you some pointers. Also, a purchase of Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk DVD or the Dave Smith CD's should be a manditory purchase when learning to blow a short reed.

Good luck!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:22 pm

Or just go to www.callingducks.com and click on goose talk and all the teaching aids are online for free.
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby doane25 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:08 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:I thought it is one of the easiest blowing calls to use....

My suggestion since you are moving over from a flute is to find someone who lives close to you and have him give you some pointers. Also, a purchase of Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk DVD or the Dave Smith CD's should be a manditory purchase when learning to blow a short reed.

Good luck!

man, ur not retarded. no matter how good any of us are we all have to start some where. start with one note and go from there. get some beer and have a buddy that is pretty good come by and help ya out. you'll get it.
doane25
hunter

Postby MDcanvasback2189 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:13 pm

hey i would just give up on the call... i hate to say it but that call does more harm than good. i have one of them and an express eastern shoremen. I couldnt get the shorty to work so i gave it away and the express doesnt sound deep and raspy enough so i would just look for a new call or return to ol' faithful. i just return to my Big River Long Honker and i sent it back to kolpin and they totally redid it and it blows better than ever.

also i happen to kno sean and he is a great guy so im not tryin to beat up on his calls, because all the guys in my blind use eastern shoremens and they help us kill more geese every year

I would either go wit the
Foiles Strait Meat
Big River Long Honker
Sean Mann Eastern Shoremen
MDcanvasback2189
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:06 am

thanks for the pointers. I haven't dared take it in the field b/ it sounds so bad and I have adjusted the reed every possible way, blown every possible way and it still sounds like I am ringing in the new year.

Oh well, time to go shopping.
dirtyj
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:27 pm

If you want, you can send it to me and I'll tune it just like mine. As I said, it is one of the easiest blowing, fastest calls I have, and I always have it in the field with me. Be sure before you spend more money that you are using proper technique when using it...SR calls are way different than flutes.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum