Goose Flute tips for a newbie

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Goose Flute tips for a newbie

Postby JSSwift1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:04 pm

Going out in the morning after ducks, but taking a few goose floaters and a flute for the first time. Any pointers for a first time goose caller?
JSSwift1
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:38 am

buy an instructional cd and get to where you can sound pretty good on it before you just go hunt with it.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:38 am

Yes, leave the call at home. You'll probably end up scaring more birds then none.
Always, always, practice at home either during the season or during the off season.
But, you can take your call, and practice conservation, as I'm sure alot of hunters around you would enjoy some more birds in their spread. :toofunny: :umm:
Last edited by goosehunter64 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:51 pm

Practice before hand, even during the evenings during the season. A flute uses same muscles as most ducks calls use, by blowing up air from the diaphram (belly area).

Tim Grounds has a DVD on flutes.

DVDs are better because they show the hand position, which is needed when calling, this is epecially is true for short reed calls.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby harvey1b » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:01 pm

Alright Admin2!! Way to jump in there!! :getdown: :umm:

(it just seems like with running the site you don't get many opportunities to post up on topics that this site is about)
harvey1b
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:27 pm

The best I can remember on my old flute was to hold it like a duck call in one hand and then cup your hand around the bottom to make a chamber. Then play with the back pressure by opening and closing your cup hand and try for a train whistle sound. Build the sound until it breaks. Play with the back pressure by opening and closing the cup hand. That's the basics to get the sound out of the one I had. My flute didn’t take much air flow, just good flow control. I think the sound or words I used for a basic honk was something like tooo Wit, but you can also make it break for the hi note just with the back pressure and or air pressure.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum