Shaveing a reed...???

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Shaveing a reed...???

Postby TReX300 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:49 pm

Doesn anyone know anything about shaveing the reed on a short reed call? I have one call that came with a shaved reed and it takes a ALOT less air to blow than most standard short reed calls. I'm working on getting ym 13 yr old going on a Goose call but he's haveing a real tough time getting enough air to blow the call and keep it going the length of time you need to. I was thinking of shaveing the reed on one or finding another shaved reed call for him.

Thanks
Tim
TReX300
hunter

Postby plainsman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:40 pm

check your mail
Make sure to shave the top side of the reed, from back towards the tip.Go lightly.....I use a nailfile or emery board. Start where the wedge ends.
Last edited by plainsman on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby critter stuffer » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:51 pm

Primos makes a shaved reed goose call. They take less air than most and they work pretty good.
critter stuffer
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:55 am

I'll go ahead and post this for all interested.

When laid flat, all reeds should have a little curve to them. The side that curves up is the top side of the reed. Most reeds are different on the ends. the narrow end will usually blow clearer and the wide end will usually blow raspier. Take a very sharp knife and, starting in the center on the top side of the reed, scrape towards the end of the reed. I usually shave the center 1/4'' going length ways and then on the sides turn and go from the center of the reed on an angle strait out toward the edges.

The amount to shave off may be one of the widest disputed things on the planet. I'll say this, don't shave enough and you won't be able to tell that you did anything. Shave too much and it will be way too raspy and the reed will split very easy. We normally shave about 1/4-1/3 of the way through the reed.

After you shave it, clean the burr off of the edges using a piece of emery cloth.

You may screw up a half dozen before you finally get one right, but that is how to do it in a nut shell. :thumbsup:

Good luck,

Randy
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby JBO » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:26 pm

You can order shaved reeds from Jeff Foiles. I know that Foiles reeds and Zink reeds are almost the same when placed on top of one another.

I ordered a shaved reed and shaved it even more and got a lot more pop out of the reed. I would order one that was done professionally before experimenting on your own.
Did I call the shot?
JBO
hunter

Postby TReX300 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Can the hsaved reeds be ordered for different calls or only the ones from those makers?

critter stuffer wrote:Primos makes a shaved reed goose call. They take less air than most and they work pretty good.
This is the one shaved reed call we have now. the one I want to shave is a Primos Honky Tonk. I've never been one to spend alot of $$ on calls and have kill ALOT of Geese with the shaved reed one.

Thanks again
Tim
TReX300
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:47 am

several of the smaller volume call makers purchase the reeds and sound boards from the larger call makers. i personally know of 2 call makers that do this. one buys guts from winglock and the other buys guts from echo. i would assume you could purchase reeds, etc from either of these call makers also. i really don't know if you can get shaved reeds from either but i would think you would need a handful of reeds to experiment.
vacuum6
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum