Do $$$ calls really make a difference

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Do $$$ calls really make a difference

Postby Boomn4x4 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:28 am

I've recently moved off of the flute and onto the short reed, I baught an el' cheapo and I think I have the basics down, but I can't seem to get any better with the call. No matter how much I practice I can't seem to make the darn thing sound any better.

If I were to get a better call, will it sound better, or does it still sound like my technique needs work
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby thaner » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:33 am

I am at the same place :welcome: . I am going to a better call as soon as I can scrape up some Christmas and Birthday cash. Almost there now. I am getting a SMH. Here is what I have gathered from others and what I can tell from blowing different models of the nicer calls. The nicer and higher $$ calls should give you some better materials and usually better sound quality. Some designs have different back pressure characteristics that can help depending on your style and how you blow a call. Hand tuning and shaved reeds are probably the biggest advantage I can see. That get's them set up right and the shaved reeds seams to be more responsive.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:08 pm

Sounds like your in a rut.....finding hard to improve. It might be you or maybe the call....who knows. The call might be limiting you. I don't use any poly calls.....wood, acrylic and delrin only.Wood will give you a more mellow sounding goose and has the looks to boot. But wood will change with the weather conditions and won't always keep a "true" tone.
Delrin is sharper than wood,but still mellower than acrylic. I use delrin on my water lanyard due to the mellower pitch. It doesn't change with the weather either....it stays constant. It's aslo virtually indestructable.
Acrylic is what the majority are now looking at when buying new calls. A sharp crack and can be made to get LOUD. Weatherproof, so it's pitch stays constant also.
Will a better call make you a better caller???? Buy one and find out for yourself :salude:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby JBO » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:50 pm

Last year I first started goose calling with a Foiles Strait Meat Honker. It was not easy. It took me a week of calling about an hour a day just to get the oooooittttt greeting call. It took me a long time and the SMH is suppose to be the easiest blowing short reed. Don't get frustrated, keep calling!!! One day it will all make sense and soon clucks, moans and comeback calls will be a thing of the past. But, you have to practice every day. I just got the moan down perfect after about 6 months of practice everyday.

I have tried cheap calls and DID find them harder to blow. I tried acrylic ZINK calls and found them to be similar the the SMH. I know that acrylic calls do produce a nice sound that is unbeatable when compared to molded calls!

In my opinion I feel that if you are going to get into calling buy a good call. You never see and of the professional callers using their cheap molded version of calls. You may see them use molded calls on ducks but never on geese. You can find used calls on this site every now and then and usually at a great price. GO WITH IT!!! Also, If you decide to buy a new call you can always sell it.

Bass Pro and Cabelas let you blow on all the acrylic calls in the store. Try one of these stores to see for yourself if YOU can hear the difference!

Hope this helps
Did I call the shot?
JBO
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:50 pm

a high end call in most cases gives you more volume and tone also in some calls have better speed and i like having the nice look of acrylic.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WINGNUTT 50 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:17 am

I too started on cheaper calls, [Pitboss,H.S. Slammer,Magnum Clucker]. I was able to pick up the basics, with much practice. But when I bought my Money Maker I was able to move to another level. Not saying I'm any good, I'm not, but a better call has helped me improve beyond the point I was at. So yes if your serious about the short reed go for the best you can afford, and definetly go somewhere that will let you try them out so you can see what suites you. :thumbsup:
WINGNUTT 50
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:17 am

Thanks guys...... Eased me quite a bit.... At least it MAY not be me :toofunny: though I'm sure I could use more practice
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby harvey1b » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:52 am

Boomn I think it is a combo of both. I started off with the Canada Hammer a few years ago. I became proficient with the basics on it but had a hard time getting more notes than just the basics. This summer I went to Sportman's Warehouse and tried ~15 different high end acrylic and wood calls. The RNT dirty bird was easiest for me to blow so I picked one up.

It is a lot better. The big difference I can see is the high end calls are much more sensitive and allow you to make slightly different pitched notes, which improved my technique. I have since gone back to the Hammer and found I can make those notes on it also, but it is much harder.

In the end - I think once you get down the basics on el cheapo you need to move to a higher end call to allow your techinique to improve.

It's like driving a car. Anybody can make a car go fast, but once you have been behind the wheel of a high performance car you experience what a car is really capable off.

Fork over the cash and buy yourself a fancy call to go along with your fancy new gun, you only live once :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum