choosing a goose call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

choosing a goose call

Postby H2OGO! » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:42 am

hey guys, I am looking to buy a cheap all around goose call. I started looking at the zink poly's but i have heard a lot of mixed feedback on these so now I am back to square one. any suggestions on a decent all around call that won't break the bank?
H2OGO!
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:47 am

Goosilla by Quackhead
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby JBO » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:11 am

Search around the internet for used acrylic calls. You can find some great deals. Once you go acrylic you will never go back.
Did I call the shot?
JBO
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:54 am

JBO is right, but if you want just the basics I would suggest either the Canada Hammer or the Goosilla
harvey1b
hunter

Postby hdgfootball72 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:30 pm

Sean mann shoreman sounds good and very duriable. I love it and only around 50 bucks.
Season Total
Mallards-6
Geese-20
Blue Bills-4
hdgfootball72
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the best poly call on the market is the one made by Echo.
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby cinrds » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:54 am

For the price I like my Goozilla. I know around hear Wal_mart is about to or has put hunting stuff on sale. Can one one real cheap.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Go with the canada hammer II or if you want to take another step up get you a winglock in delrin.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby mike. » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:08 pm

how do you know which is a good call or not? short reeds are good right? and flutes are going out?
mike.
hunter

Postby plainsman » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:14 pm

Yes, flutes are going out. Shortreeds are the way to go. Best "Bang for your buck" is Winglock longneck delrin.Nuff said!!!!
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:15 pm

if you are looking for a first call. they are all the same. look through the calls previously mentioned and pick a random one by throwing darts. then walk over to the video part of the store and get 3 different video's. the videos will help you more than the "best call" will. i like shawn stahl's video honker talk. but my buddy likes zinks video. the reason i say get three videos is alot of people get frustrated trying to learn to call. Anyone can call geese and ducks. its like math, most people hate math and really arent good at it but they are good enough. its also one of the toughest subjects to learn but we can all look back in life and say "oh yeh" there was that one teacher that put it together in a way it made sense. If you start with a video that you just cant learn from you will frustrate yourself to death so instead watch the basics part of all three videos and follow the directions that make it easiest for you, then go from there. after you can walk into the store and pick up a call and really try it dont worry about getting one that will fit. as you progress the fit will change anyways.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum