Canada Hammer 2?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Canada Hammer 2?

Postby mx3209212 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:21 pm

I have had a canada hammer 2 for a while, however, i still cannot blow that short reed well. does anyone have any good tips? thnaks in advance!
mx3209212
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:18 pm

I had one and didn't like it. I was given an acrylic Hammerr and didn't like it any better, but then I played with the tune on the call and now it's very nice. Try to tune the call a little to fit you. The quick tune guts are easy to play with. Just make sure the reed just makes it into the tone channel and play with the depth you set the guts into the insert. If you can find the sweet spot it will make a big difference. Then get one of the good CD like Honker Talk or Bad Grammer.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby davecz » Sun May 20, 2007 9:50 pm

I have one and I dont like it much, to me it is hard to make it sound good. I just got a foiles SMH and it is sweet, I know there is a huge difference between the two, but i tried other cheaper goose calls with more success.
davecz
hunter

Postby quackingtim » Mon May 21, 2007 9:55 pm

I like mine. It's a great call for the money. Make sure the reed tip goes down into the sound board w/out it catching.
quackingtim
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:37 am

I have one and had to shave the reed before i could get it to turnover well, now i have practiced on it for a while and can get good honks, clucks, moans and spits
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby donttreadonme » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:49 am

I have one and can make it work but much prefer my new Winglock. I would try and find someone who knows how to tune calls and have them work it over for you. It is amazing what can be done by custom tuning a call. If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabela's or Bass Pro near by, you can call them and ask if they have someone who knows their stuff. I did (Sprotsman's) and they didn't charge me a dime. It is still a very quirky call, but much better fitting for me.

Give Winglock a look. Great calls and inexpensive to, if you go with a wood call. http://www.winglockcalls.com/
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby mx3209212 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:24 am

yeah, they look nice. i just dumped my CH, becasue now im using my money maker, shish is truly magnificent.

thanks guys1
mx3209212
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:00 pm

are u holding ur hands in the right position on the call? i hold my goose call cupped between my thumb and pointer finger with a loose fist and my middle finger slightly up to release the sound and my off hand cupped over the hand holding the call.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby mx3209212 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:09 pm

i did what youi did too. i had a faulty one. Hopefuly the garbage man got it to work. :thumbsup:
mx3209212
hunter

Postby kms399 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:27 pm

i read somewhere that to break in a call you can hook it up to your vacume for a minute or so. just wear ear plugs. I have never tried it though.

mabye someone can suggest what they use to shave the reed properly.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:34 pm

kms399 wrote:i read somewhere that to break in a call you can hook it up to your vacume for a minute or so.

maybe break a call... i might try it on my canada hammer since i probably won't use it much this year and if it breaks i'm out $14 instead of $40
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:52 pm

idahofowler wrote:I have one and had to shave the reed before i could get it to turnover well, now i have practiced on it for a while and can get good honks, clucks, moans and spits

i had to do the same thing to my canada hammer. After i did this it still took practice though :thumbsup:
T-MAN
hunter

Postby billybass23 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:43 am

I just got one of the hammer 2 calls as well, just wondering what you mean when you say shave the reed? Can I do this my self? thanks
billybass23
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:05 pm

get either a razor blade or one of them cheap nail file things gals use all the time, and gently scrape the top edge of your reed. you may want to take it out of the call to do this, if you haven't ever taken the reed out of a call, find out how to tune it before you do that. don't go too thin or the reed will split, do it evenly across the entire reed as well, you only need to take off a tiny bit to change the reed, about 15 strokes of scraping will do it. make sure to take off any burrs as well, they will cause your reed to stick
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Goose bonker » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:01 pm

I hate my Canada Hammer 2. I can get a few clucks and honks out of it, but to sound like a few geese at the same time, I get winded really quick. Its not very easy to blow, I don't like it.
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Words of Benjamin Franklin.
Goose bonker
hunter

Postby goosecalln13 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:31 am

i have a canada hammer 2 i love it i think its a very easy blowing call mine has a great sound to it and is great for the money
goosecalln13
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum