Lay Down Calling

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Lay Down Calling

Postby Kansasbirds » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:07 am

I recently bought a Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II and have not been able to hit the low pitch for lay down calling yet...I even have the Straight Talk cd to go with it but it hasn't helped me a whole lot...does anyone have any advice?
Kansasbirds
Newb

Postby quackhunter » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:40 am

When making a laydown or feeding growl you need to use more voice inflection then when making other calls. The canada hammer isnt excalty a friendly call for this type of noise. I guess the eway I do it is to use the word bahh bahh bahh while blowing the air into the call.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:47 pm

Use your voice and keep the air moving slow and constant without a lot of velocity. Also try more backpressure. It will do it just fine once you figure it out. You can also tune it just a little harder to blow or deeper tone and that helps also. I like mine a little easier to blow to keep it fast, but tuned a bid deeper. If you want to try this you can move the wedge toward the reed tip just a bit off the quick tune studs and then don't set the guts quite so deep. It is a little tricky to get just right, but once you do it sounds good and it's fast, but you can still get the low tone with some added backpressure.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Kansasbirds » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:23 pm

Hey guys thanks for the help I will have to give it a try sometime soon and see how it goes..thanks.
Kansasbirds
Newb

Postby HonkShooter » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:28 pm

If a lot of back pressure oens't work try none at all and just growl or guh guh guhguuuuuh into the call.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby Kansasbirds » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:13 pm

alright thanks i'll see what sounds best
Kansasbirds
Newb

Re: Lay Down Calling

Postby fowlboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:22 am

Kansasbirds wrote:I recently bought a Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II and have not been able to hit the low pitch for lay down calling yet...I even have the Straight Talk cd to go with it but it hasn't helped me a whole lot...does anyone have any advice?

The lowend on a Zink SR-1 is hard to beat!
fowlboy
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum