calling contest

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

calling contest

Postby duckslayer31 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:15 pm

K so I am new to this forum and I have a couple questions for anyone willing to lend a hand and give me some direction.
I am thinking of participating in a goose calling contest in the spring and I'm wondering what the judges are looking for i.e. volume,range,pitch. Things of that nature, I'm 31 and I've never competed in anything like this before so any info would be helpful. Thanks
duckslayer31
Newb

Re: calling contest

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:36 am

Youtube...lots of routines just posted from the worlds this past weekend. Get a copy of the Stage Grammar dvd as well. Then find somebody in your area that is a contest caller and see if they can work with you on putting it all together.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Stage Grammer is an absolute must.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:19 am

When I am judging I look for a few different things. I first thing I notice is pop and volume. Then I am looking for flow of the routine, and finally how technical the routine is. All judges like different things in a routine, I personally like to see good control from top to bottom, and real strong low end. IMO everyone at the contest level especially at the top can do speed stuff, not everyone has good low end.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm

SPatrick wrote:When I am judging I look for a few different things. I first thing I notice is pop and volume. Then I am looking for flow of the routine, and finally how technical the routine is. All judges like different things in a routine, I personally like to see good control from top to bottom, and real strong low end. IMO everyone at the contest level especially at the top can do speed stuff, not everyone has good low end.

I'm the opposite of Shaun. I look for technicality first, then flow, then power. Low end is a must though
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby duckslayer31 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for the info I've got till spring but I'm still a little nervous about it I want to make sure I put on a good routine and not make a fool of myself lol I've never done anything like it so thanks again

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
duckslayer31
Newb

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:10 am

Trevor, whats you opinion on the way the contest at Capt Bones went? Just curious. I was there but was not in the contest.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Huntfish12 wrote:Trevor, whats you opinion on the way the contest at Capt Bones went? Just curious. I was there but was not in the contest.

I thought it went pretty much as expected. The top 3 could have been in any order and it would have all come down to personal preference as all 3 did what they do very well
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum