goose call help

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

goose call help

Postby Tika V » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Hey guys new to the site and new to waterfowling. Spent to much time in a treestand over the years and didn't realize what I have been missing. needless to say I haven't been in a deer stand once in the last 2 years.
My question has to do with goose calls/calling. I currently am running the BG honker hammer and BG gry ghost. I can cluck, honk and somewhat double cluck ( prob cheatin it a bit, just stackin 2 clucks on top each other hi then low) but my real problem is in my moan. and also putting all those sounds/notes together to sound like a group of geese. When I moan I find it real hard NOT to make the call sort of break into a squeal or party whistle sound. Seems almost like I force too much air through the call. I also feel the calls I have are fairly high pitch and I have been considering putting out the $ for a higher end call with lots of that real deep goosey sound. Someday hope to be able to do all the fancy spit notes and hiccups stuff too..
Would you guys think my problems are Allll technique still ( no doubt some defiantly is) or would a better call help the learning curve.
The calls I been thinking about are TG triple crown, or the new molt gear EX3 X series. Any callin tips would be great too. I have been learning from the bad grammer vids and you tube.
thanks for any advise offered.
Tika V
Newb

Re: goose call help

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 pm

I started out with the Canada Hammer just to learn the basics. In my experience, I would say that call is very limited as far as what it can do. I ended up getting a Field Proven Raptor Poly goose call. It's the cheaper version of their acrylic call. It can do just about everything a high end call can do. With my BG Canada Hammer, I could only do about half of what I can do now. You also might want to search Field Proven calls on youtube. They have an instructional video on how to do the basics with a short reed call.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Simple » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:23 pm

I have a PERFORMANCE goose call. The WHITE LIGHTNING is the model. I love it and its pretty user friendly. As far as tips on goose calling, the best advice I think anyone can give is practice practice practice. I drive 40 miles a day to work and back it is a perfect time for me, even though I look stupid, to learn new sounds. I have downloaded a few HOW TO videos onto my ipod and listen as a practice. Ive noticed that for every sound made into a call there are similar phrases that you can use to get the same motion your tongue should be doing into your call. such as.... who-it for a goose honk, or quit or hut for a duck quack. I hope this helps you out.
Simple
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:36 am

I suggest looking into a Gander Valley Custom Calls PCS. Easy to run and you will never out grow this call. The owner of the company gives free lessons so this may be a direction to look at. My favorites calls by far! It is nice to have a call that can run easy and not limit you. It is also nice to get the kind of service and price they provide.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum