calling geese over water

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

calling geese over water

Postby outdoorsetc1 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:49 am

I hear about the feilds all the time but never hear about water. I wolud like to know what sounds when and how close???
Im going fishing cuz I cant duck hunt right now!
outdoorsetc1
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:01 am

I Personally do not do anything different when hunting Geese over water compared to fields!

I listen to the Geese and call as they call. I watch how they react to the calling, both same as you would in a field.

I would personally rather hunt over water for geese then fields!

Decoy Spreads over water are less!

We Flag over Water, just like in Fields, Call to the Geese as we would in fields, just do not place as many Decoys on the water as we would in a field!

Calling to geese, atleast here in PA over water isn't different then fields.....Just have to listen to the geese and watch how they react to your calling.

I've called to them from far off, pleaded like mad and have kept on calling till they were just about to set on the water then grabbed the gun......I have flagged and never blew a note on the call over water and they come in....I've done nothing but Honk, honk, honk when they called back and they would come in.....Same as you would do in a field.
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby plainsman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:07 pm

Up here, over water, I use mainly clucks and moans to bring them in. Don't have to get worked up on the water....no competion for feed. Slowing it down really pays off....you want a relaxed feel on the water. I use around a doz. dekes, 4-5 floaters and some shells on or near shoreline
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum