goose call for beginners

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

goose call for beginners

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun May 13, 2007 8:53 pm

I am must starting to get comfortable with my duck calling. i think i am able to hold my own with my RNT short barrel. but now i woudl like to start learning how to call geese.

in my area we only get canadas and the occassional snow. i have not seen ANYONE using a short reed goose call in my area. they all seem to be the flute style calls.

i was wondering which type of call is beter for a beginner to learn with? i was told when i started buying duckc alls that a double reed was easier. is one type of goose call nay easier to pick up than another?

and if you do have an opinion, also share your opinions of a good goose call ofr under $100 in either short reed or flute.
Last edited by fowl_wishes on Sun May 13, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun May 13, 2007 9:13 pm

I would say that if you are planning on goose hunting quite a bit, go with a short reed. It is much more difficult to go from a flute to a short reed than a double to a single reed.

A short reed gives you a lot more versitility, and sounds much better than a flute. It is worth the little extra effort to get a short reed. Buy a copy of Honker Talk along with the short reed and you are set.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby joekool » Sun May 13, 2007 10:39 pm

if you learn on a short reed then you can do any kind of goose call pretty easy i started on a short reed and i really have gotten good at every knind of call that there is for geese so good luck man
take your parents hunting, so you dont have to hunt your parents
joekool
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon May 14, 2007 7:29 am

Go with the short reed. It can do more and if everyone in your area is using a flute all the better as the geese will probably be wise to all the flute callers and with a short reed you just may give them something different they will come into. Get some good instruction like Honker talk and Bad Grammer and you will be calling in no time. See if you can find a call maker in your area to work with or a pro staff in your area. Most all the top call makers make good calls, but tune is the most critical in finding one you can work with. I would recommend the Goozzilla and Canada Hammer II performance series with the shaved reed for inexpensive calls. See if you can find a Canada Hammer acrylic as they are very good starter calls and less than $50 if you can still find one. For the acrylics I really like my Foiles calls. The HPH is one of my favorites right now, but I also like the SMH and MH. Also consider a Goose Noose by Lynch. These are very easy to blow in factory tune.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby mike. » Mon May 14, 2007 4:12 pm

short reed for sure. I just started in december and im actually really good now. People say that im going to be an excellent caller. I started on a polycarb zink power clucker and now i just bought an acrylic gk canuck and love both the calls. Get a short reed, if you dont want to spend much, get a polycarbonate call and then when your better, move up to acrylics. Get some instructional cds, dvds etc and just listen to live geese. First get the basics such as the honk, cluck and moan and then work on the other notes once you master those. Speed will come natuarally. Then you can work on goosey rhythms
mike.
hunter

Postby quackingtim » Tue May 15, 2007 10:50 pm

Make sure the call is tuned properly. I have seen some calls at stores where somebody must have messed w/the reed placement to where it is impossible to make a goose sound. That could really hurt your learning when just starting off. Try to find some body that knows what they are doing so this does not happen to you.
quackingtim
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Sun May 20, 2007 11:45 am

it all depends on how much u want to spend a short reed is great i blow a strait meat honker but the fact is you can make a convincing honk just as easy with a big river flute.
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun May 20, 2007 3:20 pm

i am not lookign to spend a whole lot of money on a goose call. i do nto do much goose hunting. as a matter of fact id dont do ANY dedicated goose hunting. if i harvest a goose, ti is because they fly into my duck spread.

but i would like to at least be able to call to them if i need to. i am wondering more about the ease of use when comparing a flute to a short reed. i have heard both types in the hands of experienced caller. they both sounded good. but which is actually easier?

i know that if i get a short reed, in theory i will be "different" in soudn than the rest of the hunters in my area, but if i suck at it, the it dont really matter.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mike. » Sun May 20, 2007 7:20 pm

like isaid i say get a short reed, ive only been calling for 5 months or so and im really good now. I can do a variety of notes and i can do them consitently... get a polycarb call if you dont want to spend much. I have a zink power clucker polycarbonate call (about 30-40$ ) and its awsome. Its what i learned to call on. Now i got a acrylic gk canuck and it has been a quick and easy transition to get used to the call. It sounds alot better since its acrylic and different tuning but its really loud and get get low for the laydown work.... i suggest that you buy a calling cd such as "bad grammer by scott threinen" or craig mcdonalds cd.. these are the two that helped me. Also as a visual aid for hand placement and such, i got the movie honker talk which is also a great instructional.
mike.
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun May 20, 2007 7:32 pm

how about a RNT short reed? i was looking at the short reed hunter and instructional CD combo. when i read about goose calls i never hear RNT at the top fo the list.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Re: goose call for beginners

Postby fowlboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:21 am

fowl_wishes wrote:I am must starting to get comfortable with my duck calling. i think i am able to hold my own with my RNT short barrel. but now i woudl like to start learning how to call geese.

in my area we only get canadas and the occassional snow. i have not seen ANYONE using a short reed goose call in my area. they all seem to be the flute style calls.

i was wondering which type of call is beter for a beginner to learn with? i was told when i started buying duckc alls that a double reed was easier. is one type of goose call nay easier to pick up than another?

and if you do have an opinion, also share your opinions of a good goose call ofr under $100 in either short reed or flute.

Try a LM-1 from Zink! This call is awesome and takes little pressure to blow... The pressure build up fast in the little mouthpiece...
fowlboy
hunter

Postby goosecalln13 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:08 pm

i think you should get a canada hammer 2 its a great call cheap and great sound and it blows really easy i love mine also its an acrylic
at 14 calling um in and taking bands 1 by 1
goosecalln13
hunter

Postby Ryan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:11 am

I would recommend the Goozzilla

I would 2nd this. I received one and love it I try to practice every day and it is easier and requires less air than my Primo's Honky Tonk
Ryan
Three Rules of Hunting Birds Over a Dog
1. Don't shoot the dog
2. Don't shoot the dog's owner
3. If you break Rule 1 hurry and break Rule 2
Ryan
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum