Lares Speck - HELP

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Lares Speck - HELP

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey,

I bought a Lares speck call from Ken White earlier this season and I took it apart to clean it and ever since I have not been able to make it sound right. When I do get it to sound OK it sticks after 20 seconds of blowing. This is really frustrating...

I called Bret and he said it could be that the reed is shot, so I ordered new one and am waiting for them to come in.

Has anyone else had these problems with their Lares speck calls?
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Re: Lares Speck - HELP

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:19 am

I have one and find its design about as Murphy proof as can be, as long as toneboard, reed and wedge are all three bottomed out against the shoulder for them in the insert. Only thing I can think of besides somehow having kinked the reed or trimmed it too much tuning would be the possibility of putting the wedge in backwards or perhaps just attempting to and screwing it up so it doesn't apply proper pressure on the reed. It should go in with the open end of the spring/cut facing out, toward the exposed reed.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:46 am

If you can't get it, just send the call back to Bret. Make sure the reed falls freely into the tone channel without it catching.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks, guys. It has been really frustrating dealing with it.
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:03 pm

You might have put the reed in upside-down. Mylar reeds have a bias, the way the mylar comes off the roll, and it wants to kind of bend that way. You can test it by putting the reed tip on edge and with your fingertip push down gently on the opposite end to see which way it wants to bend. You want to put the side that bends up, up. If you put it the other way it will work, but the air will bend it down easier and it'll get stuck.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Goose I have flipped it both ways and it still doesn't work... Thanks tho!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Speck reeds usually run fine either way, anyway. Least I don't recall any of a great many that didn't.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum