LMC X Factor Guts Tuning Question

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

LMC X Factor Guts Tuning Question

Postby riverrascal » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:04 pm

I have had the the Lynch Mob Reaper for a few years now and have loved the call. Unfortunately, my guts and reed somehow fell out in the field this year. I emailed George and had him send me two new sets of guts and three reeds. Iv'e never had a problem tuning my goose call as I re-tune about every week, but after playing around with the new guts and reeds i can't even get anything besides really bad honks; it doesn't want to break over easily and has a hard buzz. If I try to do a spit note into the call it just locks up, and any other advanced note that i used to be able to roll off easily (hiccups, the train, and even an occasional triple cluck) is impossible. I know guts are suppose to "break in", but I don't think it should be this bad to the point where i can't even take it out in the field.

If anyone has any experience with these guts or any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated.

This is how i have it set now, but anytime i try a spit note it locks up and wont blow.
Attachments
IMAG0161.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg
IMAG0159.jpg
riverrascal
hunter

Re: LMC X Factor Guts Tuning Question

Postby sandahl » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:35 pm

I messed with the green x factors for a while earlier this year and I didn't think they were anything special beyond the older models, however, as far as tuning went. I remember having to shave the reed quite a bit and I also found it best to use the skinny end of the reed. I can't tell in the picture if thats what you're using already. Also I pushed the guts in until the wedge was almost flush with rim on the insert. I don't know if that little increase in pressure would help your reed jump or not but hopefully you can get them going. I love running broke in x factors. :thumbsup:
sandahl
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:52 am

I recommend that you stop retuning your call every week. Once you get the sound you want, leave them...don't touch them. If you do, they will break in. But, if you don't, you may put the reed in a different spot each time and cause the guts to act funny. Those green XF guts are finicky and do have A LOT of buzz which is why I have never like them (even in George's calls). Just send the call to Trevor or George and they should get it tuned up for you :thumbsup:

FWIW, I like the blue XF guts and the new Bloods :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby riverrascal » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Pushing the guts way back in the call did help quite a bit. It does still have a buzz but I'm hoping that will break in with time. The only reason I had to retune my old call soo much is because after a lot of calling the guts would move or something and sound off (that might have been the reason they fell out in the first place because they were so lose.) I may look into the bloods guts too, sounds like a lot of guys like them. As far as shaving reeds, what do you all like to do?
riverrascal
hunter

Postby sandahl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:52 pm

I run bloods in one of my calls and love them. For shaving my reeds I clamp them onto a piece of 2inch pvc pipe. There are videos on youtube that show how to shave reeds pretty well. I used to use the backside of a spoon as well. Just take a sharp knife and shave of an even layer until you get the reed thin enough to pop the way you want with the way you call.
sandahl
hunter

Postby gotgoose » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Ok im glad im not the only one that has had problems with tuning those x-factor guts. I felt to that they had a lot of buzz in those guts. I would maybe suggest putting the wedge a littel above the tuning line. See if that helps ya
gotgoose
hunter

Postby Zerbe05 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:47 am

The best way I have found with them is to shave the reed pretty hard and tune it short. Made all the difference for me.
Zerbe05
Newb

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:48 pm

After thousands of sets tuned I have dialed in my favorite method of tuning these guts.Skinny end. Light shave(most of my reeds mic out around .012 so I am taking .002 off of them). Sand the top of the tone board lightly. Tune in front of the tuning line. T-Shave if necessary, but most often it's not.

Depending on call design I can usually have a call dialed in start to finish in a minute, less if the reeds and tone boards are already worked. They shouldn't be buzzing or taking a ton of air as we designed them not to.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum