SMH, meat grinder, or sr-1?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

SMH, meat grinder, or sr-1?

Postby thaner » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:49 pm

OK, I have gone over all the stuff in this forum and I am down to the SMH, meat grinder or sr-1. I am on a budget, but want a good call I will stay with for a very long time. I also don't hunt geese as much as ducks so a goose call is second priority in water fowling. I also use a flute and have just started using a Primos Honky tonk to get started with the short calls. It's going OK, but still need some work. What call should I go to next of the three listed? OK, you can throw in another if need be.

OH ya, I almost forgot. For some reason I really seam to spit in the call a lot more with the short read goose call than I do with a duck call or flute. A call that blows wet would be a big bonus.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:27 pm

I have an SR-1 and in my opinion it is a great call. It comes with a great instructional video that will really help you out. It made me become a much better goose caller. I'm not saying this is the call for you, it's just what fits me. The SMH and Meatgrinder are also excellent calls from what I've heard. My best advice to you is to find somewhere you can blow them and find the one you like best.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:28 pm

I have a meat grinder, I think it is really easy to blow, sounds good, and it wasn't too expensive :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:20 pm

Or you can forget all of those and get a Super Mag... :salude:
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:35 pm

OR A WINGLOCK DELRIN....THEY ROCK!!!!!!!
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:25 am

I'm with Quackkiller. You really need to try any call you get. I have bought calls with out trying them on other's reccomendations, and they just didn't work for me. I have both a SMH and a SR-1, and like them both very much, but neither one may work for you. Find a store or go to a show and try them, and you will be much happier.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:56 am

I live in SW Michigan and I don't know of anywhere where you can try calls around here. The low dollar ones are sealed up in plastic and the few high dollar ones when you can even find them are under glass. The only place I can think of right off hand would be Cabela's. Maybe I will plan a stop next time I am on the other side of the state.

If anyone knows of somewhere near my location that has these calls please let me know. Also do any of the mfr. send out test calls? That would be great, I wouldn't mid paying the shipping and paying security for call to try out.

One more aspect of the calls I would like input on is how much back pressure is needed to blow the different call. I would like limited pressure so I can blow it with one hand when I am trying to swap loads or in the middle of doing something like get a grip on by gun. I can do this with my duck calls, but not with any goose call I have used.

Thanks for the input. Please continue to comment especially if you have more than one of these and if you have similar background with calling.
thaner
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:48 pm

Thaner- Pm'ed you
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:42 pm

Buy the SMH
mccree79
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:40 pm

I personally am a Foiles fanatic I have a SMH and absolutely love it! Foiles has a instructional video it doesnt come with the call, but it is in depth and breaks down the call and is explained very clearly and leaves no room for imagination.

I live near Harrisburg Pa which hosts the Eastern sports and outdoor show each year. Foiles Migrators has a booth and I picked up a new Market Hunter this year and is absolutely the easiest short reed call I have used. I picked it up on Wedensday and on Saturday Four of took 14 birds on the last saturday of our season.

So the point here is consider the Market Hunter by Foiles Migrators.
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:48 pm

meat grinder got mine new for $60 i love it.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:25 pm

Foiles is supposed to have a new call out soon. The high plains honker stillwater edition. I can't wait to give it a try.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:36 pm

Thanks for the input. So far I still can’t make up my mind. I just found a slightly used poly super mag for $29 so I though for that price I could give it a try. I have been all over and have not found these calls to try. I was in Detroit this week and went to the Bas Pro shop and I was really disappointed. They had some RNT, but not a daisy cutter I wanted to try. They had a couple of zinks, but I didn’t see an SR-1. No SMH. The worst was that there was like no one anywhere around that area to open up the glass case and I was short on time. I guess I will have to wait until my next trip and try to hit Cabelas. It could just be an after season shortage on stock. I also tried to look at some decoys, but other than some big foot full bodies they only had GHG. Bass pro and gander are a wast of time unless it's pre season form what I can tell.
thaner
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:06 pm

Yeah don't go to Bass Pro after season, at least the one by me. Season had been over for a few days and they already put all the acrylics away. I couldn't find them anywhere. The glass case was even gone. And it won't be much longer and all the decoys will be gone, as well as the rest of the calls. It'll all be replaced with turkey hunting stuff.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:20 pm

Thaner-
Hope you enjoy the Super Mag, it is a really nice call. I just tried a Daisy Cutter and it is awesome- I want one bad!

If anyone wants to trade one for a SMH, get a hold of me! I have two of them now, but would get rid of one for that Daisy Cutter.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby labman45 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:53 pm

I have a eastern shoreman and i would say it is the best sounding goosecall for the money :thumbsup:
labman45
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:23 am

Well so far the super mag is not working for me very well. I am having a hard time getting it to break. I think it was out of tune. I messed around with it and was able to get it better, but not great. I plan to keep working with it for a while to see if I can figure it out, but if I can't I plan to send it back to Tim for a tune and maybe a shaved reed. I did get the honker talk DVD everyone has been talking about and that has been helpful. I have my Honkey Tonk call going reasonably well now.
thaner
hunter

Re: SMH, meat grinder, or sr-1?

Postby fowlboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:29 am

thaner wrote:OK, I have gone over all the stuff in this forum and I am down to the SMH, meat grinder or sr-1. I am on a budget, but want a good call I will stay with for a very long time. I also don't hunt geese as much as ducks so a goose call is second priority in water fowling. I also use a flute and have just started using a Primos Honky tonk to get started with the short calls. It's going OK, but still need some work. What call should I go to next of the three listed? OK, you can throw in another if need be.

OH ya, I almost forgot. For some reason I really seam to spit in the call a lot more with the short read goose call than I do with a duck call or flute. A call that blows wet would be a big bonus.

I don't know about the other call guys, but Zinks Customer service is top of the line! That's one of the reasons I use their calls! Other than that, they sound the best for me!
fowlboy
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum